Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2005, 02:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Lighting, what corals to get?

Right now I have 28W t5 acintic, and 175w 10k MH in a 37 gal tall tank suspended maybe 6-8 inches off the water. As far as corals go, what would I be able to have in my tank? Currently I have some pulsing Xenia, red and blue shrooms, and frogspawn which is placed high in the tank that seems to be doing excellent. Also what anemones would be suitable for me? TIA

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
if I remember right you have a fairly new setup right?
how long has it been setup?
most will tell you to wait on the anemones..
if frogspawn is doing well.. hammer coral isnt effected by its sweeper tenticals.. from what Ive read.. (they are closely related)

Old 10-20-2005, 11:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its coming up on its second month of being up and stable(3-4 day cycle period). Ya I understand to wait a good 6 months or longer, and thats fine I can wait.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
nano arctica chiller
Old 10-20-2005, 01:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Typically you can really put w/e you want considering your lighting. BUT things to consider; what corals can go with the ones youve already chosen? depending on the philosophy you chose about raising corals might determine the corals you . SPS and anemones are not supposed to mix depending on the literature you read. etc etc.. Typically look at the corals you like.. the corals you want because you have enough light to do what ever you want. Go through you LFS or a coral identification book or the like and find the species you really want Then do research from there to find out compatability. then once youve figured it out go for it.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I also am pushing about 20x turnover for water, I can raise it higher, so that should help with corals hurting eachother, I think atleast.
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
nano arctica chiller
Old 10-20-2005, 05:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Considering you are in a closed system (and a small one), the water turnover rate is not going to have much impact on the chemical warfare (allelopathy) within the tank. This toxic soup is as/more dangerous than the potential physical aggression. For example, Xenia is known to have a chemical that is very damaging to various SPS corals.....something else to consider. I would be sure to have Eric Borneman's coral book which goes into some detail on coral chemical toxicity with most species.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

so what does this tell you in easy terms? if you do put the odd specimen that may fight with each other chemically in your system, frequent H20 changes are a must
Old 10-20-2005, 06:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm changing 20% every 2 weeks.
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
nano arctica chiller
Old 10-20-2005, 08:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Having a smaller tank is going to limit you on the types of corals you get. Xenia ia nice but you should keep it off any man sections or LR, it can take over a tank fast so keeping it on the SB where it can't get to any large LR IMO is a good plan.
Corals like the Galaxea have long sweeper tentacles so they need lots of room, some reaching 8+ inches on larger corals.
My FS and hammer get along fine, they touch all day every day. But my large hammer stings my finger leather. My yellow leather is getting large and it does not get along with any thing, the kenyas sting it and it keeps the polyps in in that area.
All my zoos seem to get along, but my hairy shroon stunk the heck out of my reg shroons.
Keep doing your home work before you buy too many.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh nothing I have right now is very large, they are all frag peices.

175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
nano arctica chiller

Tags
coral, corals, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com