lighting with egg crate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBR

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone -- With the weather getting warmer, I'm finding that the tank temp is creeping up a bit -- not too much, but it is hovering around 84-86 F. And we're only in May! So, to get a handle on it, I got some egg crate as other have suggested and all is well.

But as I set the lights on top of it last night, I wonder how other deal with the salt that is left from the evaporation? I assume the light fixture and/or/bulbs will get all crusty as does the glass cover I just removed? Or am I concerned about a non-issue?

Thanks.
Matt

I did the same thing a few weeks ago
I'm getting a little salt on the bulb and on the plexy glass covering on the other light i have
I look at it like salt creep...you can either put it back in or adjust your salinity with water changes (i do both actually)...IMO anyway

Is that the same stuff that is in office buildings. Does it help increase the light intensity?

There shouldnt be to much salt buildup unless your splashing water all over the place. Salt will not evaporate with the water so the salt will stay in the tank. THe only tim eyou get the salt buildup is if you have standing water evaporating.

Like ifyou splash water on your bulbs and then it evaporates off.

Sounds good -- thanks. I'll see how it goes.

For CBRGuy -- yes. I got it at Home Depot: 2'x4' sheet was $10. As for the improved lighting, I think there is a bit of a difference. The side with the crate is just a tad brighter than the other, which still has the glass cover.
Matt

Never heard about the egg crate until now. So what are its pros & cons other than keeps water temp cooler, helps increase the light intensity and more water evaporation? Can this be installed on any tank or is it more for tanks with fluorescent lighting only?

I did my 55 gal fw and I can tell I have alot more evaporation. Guess I'll have to watch the sw tanks close when I do them.

Skipper -- It's mostly to help keep the temp down with the hot lights. it's the plastic grid that is installed with commerical lighting. Just a plastic grid of 1/2" squares -- easy to break into the size you need. As for the lighting, the glass blocks alot of the spectrum the lights put out. You can also get the sliver egg crate (opposed to white), which will help to either diffuse or focus the light, depending on which side you put up/down. As for evap, that's just a natural consequence.
Matt

Back
Top Bottom