Lighting yet again.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I've got your standard 55 gal tank... 48 in long etc...... I'm looking to get PC lighting for my tank.... I'm wondering what I should get as a minimum for wattage.... I've been looking at the 2x65w cause they're the cheapest.... would this be enough light???? I think that these come with one daylight lamp and one actinic night lamp???? is that good enough???

Any help would be appreciated....

I forgot to mention..... I'm looking to get the most bang for the buck as far as keeping corals/clams etc.... all I have right now is a rock with shrooms on it....

Depends on what you want to be keeping. 2x65 w on that tank size would be quite low. A 65w bulb is only 30" long so you would in effect be emitting lower intensity at the last ¼ at each end of the tank. A 2x96w would give you much better overall coverage (34.5") and penetration depending on depth. It would also allow for more sessile invert variety. With just the 2x65w you will be quite restricted in coral types and typically just shrooms and the like.

If you want as you say the most bang for the buck as far as keeping corals/clams etc...., then you should really be looking at a 2x250w MH setup with actinics. That would allow you to keep most anything. Flourescents alone are not going to be sufficient for most SPS's, clams or eventually an anemone unless a BTA.

Cheers
Steve

You need more light for the anemone, and for better health of softies.

Basically you will need MH to keep all corals, and clams.

I would suggest getting the best ligting you could afford to start. But if you cant, at least double the light you are thinking abut. Get 4x65w. That would give you 260watts and 4.7watts per gallon. That would give you enough light to keep most all softies. Shrooms, poylop colonies, zoos, leathers, ect...

You will need a good amount of light for your anemone to maintain it's health. I know how expensive this hobby can be, but buy the best you can to start with and save money in the long run. HTH! :wink:

I've seen the 4x65w setups and they usually come with two "daylight" bulbs and two actinics... .does that mean I would need to switch the actinics for daylights and run all four during the day????? for the softies ???

Nope. the coralife 4x65 watt fixture uses two actinics and two 10,000K. that will be just fine. You will be able to keep a great variety of corals with that lighting.

Are they all on at the same time???? or do you use only the actinics at night????

They are generally all on at the same time. I have my actinics set to come on one hour before my 10,00k and turn off one hour after my 10,00K. This simulates dawn and dusk. I keep my moonlights on 24/7. Do not get confussed by the term "daylight" bulbs. Actinics are also designed to be used during the day in conjuction with other lamps. They fill out the color spectrum and make the tank look a lot better then just white lights.

Ya you run them together. The blue does not light up like the white, but they are just as benefcial as the white. :wink:

"moonlights" or Lunar lights are some what new. They are small LED lights ussually 3/4 to one watt. THey cast a shimmering blue glow into the water. Looks really cool and they are suppose to stimulate nocturnal behavior.

Back
Top Bottom