Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajg1460

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased a aqualight 130 watt double linear strip and all of a sudden have a algae problem. I have a gold crowned toadstool, a button polyp and a green star polyp. How much light (hrs) do I need for the coral to flourish vs. the flourishing algae??

Its a 29 Gal tank, right now I don't have a timer, it will be here Monday, so it's on from 6am till 4 pm which I realize is too much...but what where is the balance.

I have two 250w halides on my tank and i run them from 10am to 10pm. No algea problems here. What are your water perameters? How often do you feed? Is it green algea? How long has your system benn up?

Tank has only been setup for a month. Water parameters are NH3 =0, NO2 =0, NO3 =0, PH= 8.4 Salinity 1.023. Didn't have any trouble with algae until I installed the new light. Algae is brown and pretty much covers all 4 sides and some on the sand as well

Sounds like you are just having a typical brown algea bloom that is very common with new tanks. I would cut back on your feedings and runn your lights a little longer and keep doing your water changes. It should clear up. Just a matter of time.

Most people do weekly or biweekly waterchanges. I would say 10-15% waterchanges would be good until the algea clears up then you could probably get by with biweekly

Back
Top Bottom