Lights are too hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pain Devine

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ya know, I thought I was all done... I had it all set up and put the water in... I had tested the floresent lights and the bulbs were only slightly warm so I thought it was all good...

I let it run over night and then checked it this morning. There was fog on the glass... I knew that wasn't good. I checked the water temp and it was 90 degrees. There wasn't even a heater! So I touched the light and it was only slightly warm... THEN I touched the ballast... it was boiling hot. I never thought to check that. The way I have the hood built, it just sealed in all the heat. So now I have to build a remote ballast or something... UGH! and I thought I was all done. :-(

YOu could drill a few vent holes in the top of the canopy to vent the hot air out.

This is one of the reasons its good to mount the ballast remotly rather than having it in/on the canopy.

You said fog on the glass, I would remove the top cover from your tank. This will allow for better O2 exchange and reduce your build up of heat. I installed 2 fans in my canopy as well as leave the back open to reduce heat. Mounting the ballasts elsewhere is also a very good idea!

Well, there's a fuge and I haven't started circulating the water yet. So there will be plenty of O2 exchange once the waters tubling all over. I'd rather not go without a cover because I built all my own electrical stuff and I want to avoid moisture outside of the tank if possible.

Gte one of those small computer fans hooked up, make a few holes and voila!

tkos has a good idea. You can get an old low-rate computer power supply, mount it, and run cheap computer fans. It's an excellent low-cost solution. Also, when you have the fuge running, it should help out with the temp. As the water cascades downward and runs through the various overflows and the like, it will allow for evaporation (which cools) and increased exposure to systems of lesser heat, thus causing the water to pawn some heat into the fuge tank and then into the air. I'd still add some fans, and then get your fuge running and see how your temp goes.

Another thought would be to put the fans on the fuge since it has a lower water volume it will be easier to take out the heat. Just be careful not to lower it too much or the main tank could get a temperature current that causes problems.

The fans in the lighting hood of the main tank would also help prevent the heat from reaching the water, by wisking the hot air out of the hood before it had a chance to pass heat to the water.

Back
Top Bottom