Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2004, 02:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lights are too hot

Ya know, I thought I was all done... I had it all set up and put the water in... I had tested the floresent lights and the bulbs were only slightly warm so I thought it was all good...

I let it run over night and then checked it this morning. There was fog on the glass... I knew that wasn't good. I checked the water temp and it was 90 degrees. There wasn't even a heater! So I touched the light and it was only slightly warm... THEN I touched the ballast... it was boiling hot. I never thought to check that. The way I have the hood built, it just sealed in all the heat. So now I have to build a remote ballast or something... UGH! and I thought I was all done. :-(

Old 01-12-2004, 02:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to packfan2204
sorry to hear that, but at least u found out before there were any fish or inverts in danger

July 25, 2005-ship date, can't wait!!!
packfan2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 10:22 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
YOu could drill a few vent holes in the top of the canopy to vent the hot air out.

This is one of the reasons its good to mount the ballast remotly rather than having it in/on the canopy.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
You said fog on the glass, I would remove the top cover from your tank. This will allow for better O2 exchange and reduce your build up of heat. I installed 2 fans in my canopy as well as leave the back open to reduce heat. Mounting the ballasts elsewhere is also a very good idea!
Old 01-12-2004, 02:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, there's a fuge and I haven't started circulating the water yet. So there will be plenty of O2 exchange once the waters tubling all over. I'd rather not go without a cover because I built all my own electrical stuff and I want to avoid moisture outside of the tank if possible.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gte one of those small computer fans hooked up, make a few holes and voila!
Old 01-12-2004, 05:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

tkos has a good idea. You can get an old low-rate computer power supply, mount it, and run cheap computer fans. It's an excellent low-cost solution. Also, when you have the fuge running, it should help out with the temp. As the water cascades downward and runs through the various overflows and the like, it will allow for evaporation (which cools) and increased exposure to systems of lesser heat, thus causing the water to pawn some heat into the fuge tank and then into the air. I'd still add some fans, and then get your fuge running and see how your temp goes.
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 06:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Another thought would be to put the fans on the fuge since it has a lower water volume it will be easier to take out the heat. Just be careful not to lower it too much or the main tank could get a temperature current that causes problems.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

The fans in the lighting hood of the main tank would also help prevent the heat from reaching the water, by wisking the hot air out of the hood before it had a chance to pass heat to the water.

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com