Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2006, 12:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lights: HPSV, HID, Induction.....

Thought I'd just throw this out there, but with so many different types of lighting out there, why are we so limited to NO, VHO, PC and MH? Sure LED's are used for moonlights, but they will soon be inplemented in the Auto industry for headlights. Why couldn't they provide the neccesary light for a thriving aquarium, or any other type of light for that matter?

For instance:

HPSV(High pressure sodium valve): They use these in the street lights that light your block. Probably the closet thing to MH. I think they might be even the same thing. It's probably no more cost effective than MH, but an alternative none the less.

HID(High Intensity Dischage): Whoa, now these are bright! Think of the Luxor light. Pros; They can be purchased in different spectrums ranging from 4,300-20,000k as needed. They have a very long life with out having to change capsules, think 10 years min. And they run way cooler.
Con: My only issue would be it's just too much light. It would probably burn the little fishy's eyes

Induction lamp: this is some what new technology. It outputs a light very similiar to NO, however, outputs a little more light. These could probably be used as an alternative to PC. These also have a extended life, like 10-20 years.

Again, just throwing this out there. I'd like to hear everyone's comments

Old 03-17-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

The biggest limiting factor in what lights to use, is the actual spectrum the light produces. So many things in a SW aquarium live or die by having the "Right light" it's important to have the right spectrum and not just "light".

Let me see if I can dig up some old links that give you some nitty gritty details if you're into that sort of thing.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:28 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

this isn't the article iwas thinking of, but here's one from LiveAquaria.com
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/g...al_pagesid=150
the SW specific info is about half way through the page.

i'll update this post if I can find the "good one" i remember finding a while back when I was considering an LED main light system.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks BillyZ. I completly understand there are many different variables to consider.

Regarding spectrum, HID puts out the same spectrum we use in the industry, like, 6k, 10k, 12k and 20k and puts out WAY more lumens as you can tell by it's penetrating light.

I would love to read some old threads on this subject Thanks!
Old 03-17-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

so could i just get some salvaged HID headlights and put them in my canopy?
Old 03-17-2006, 05:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

NO. I wouldn't try it on a live tank, only because it hasn't been proven. Look in my first post for my concern regarding HID's. Have you looked directly into an HID? I have........and it blinds you, it's that bright. Albeit, MH isn't pleasent to look directly at, but at least it doesn't blind you.

I dont have any spare hid's laying around, just the ones in my car (Philips 6,000k). Perhaps someone might actually try a test run one day with a chromi or something. I would imagine the light would have to be like 2-3 off the tank at least.

Tags
light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com