Lights in tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmac

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just got a call saying my LEDs fell into my tank. Don't know how long they have been in their. Blew a breaker and don't know how long anything has been off. I'm rushing home now. How bad will this mess up the tank?

Yes Overflow happened. Sister cleaned up the water and pulled the lights out. I'm hoping the breaker blew immediately.

Most of the zoas are open but some are closed. I have no lights at all right now

Hammer coral snapped at the base. And my tyree setosa snapped in half. Going to run extention cords to get the tank up and running again

Threw up the spare quad coralife fixture I had. Moved all the corals closer up. I guess only time will tell.

Yes. The lights were on a separate power strip so when the lights hit the water everything blew and shut off power. Everything looks fine except for my pink stylophora, candy cane coral and hammer coral. The hammer broke off the base, the candy is starting to shed to its skeleton and the pink stylophora looks like it's about to break. The quad fixture is the best I can do until I can order more LEDs Thursday. Probably won't get them until next week sometime. Hope everything can hold on until then.

I was curious most decent power strips will have a fuse or small circuit interrupter that should have tripped and shut down before tripping the breaker in your electrical panel

That is what I thought. What is even weirder is it tripped the surge protector on my tank in the other side of the house.

They must both be on same circuit a gfi ground fault circuit interrupter trips at between 4-20 ma which is an extremely quick shutdown it could be due to numerous things does your outlet work now that you have reset your breaker I seen you said you are running extension cords

Yes. Once I reset the breaker everything works normal. The extension cord was a quick fix to get the tank running until I could get to the breaker box

Gotcha well good luck to you and be careful electricity is no joke esp when mixed with water

Oh I know. I take all the precautions. Just want my coral to survive this debacle.

Back
Top Bottom