Lights on.. Always?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Uhm... my rock was base rock, so it's pretty dead around my DT lol.. so.. can i just keep the lights on 24/7 until i start getting algae growth? Is it bad for the bulb.. or since it's a MH, is heat an issue? 150w.

Just wondering.. :cool:

Both bad for the bulb and it will heat your tank.
Do you not have ANY LR?

One more thing to add to your box later <g>, though just a small one!

Just curious, what are you wanting the algae for, food source? I'm reducing my light to get rid of a little algae problem I'm having :p Can you throw in at least a single piece of liverock to seed the rest?

I've already picked out a small rock from my tank that Kevin can use to see his tank (if he wants it).

A'm actually trying to clear out some rock to open up some more swimming space.

Haha, cmor your generosity never ends! :p

But yeah.. i put two nice size pieces of LR that's been curing for a LONG time on both my rock structures, and then two more pieces in my fuge. One is PACKED with coralline, and the other had some coralline on it but looked more whitish. I mean.. i just through the rocks in there on Thursday.. so maybe i need to wait a little for things to start spreading..

But yeah.. i think of it now and i probably wouldn't want to keep my light on 24/7 lol. I'll just stick to the normal light cycle and see what happens.

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish, Coralline growth??? If so I think having the lights alwayw on would be worse. In my tank the coralline does not grow in the direct light from the halides. It only grows in more of the shaded areas. As you alread said, just keep you normal lighting schedule. Aslo, make sure your Calcium, Alkalinity and Mg is are good. There is a wide range of acceptable numbers for those parameters, but I try to shoo for:
Calcium 420-450
Alkalinity 9-10
Magnesium 1300-1400

Good info ryshark.. but in general, i was just trying to get some algae growth.. Not coralline in particular.. i just wanted anything. My rocks are pretty dead, so seeing any life was what i was shooting for.

Good info ryshark.. but in general, i was just trying to get some algae growth.. Not coralline in particular.. i just wanted anything. My rocks are pretty dead, so seeing any life was what i was shooting for.

Be careful what you wish for...... dead looking rock is way WAY better than Hair Algae, Bubble Algae, Cyano etc

Yeah i definitey agree with you on that. Maybe i should just wait it out and see what happens instead of wanting algae so bad lol. I'm getting some brownish diatom growth on everything, and that's what's feeding my snail and two hermits, so hopefully when the diatoms run out there will be some algae to feed on. I'm not even looking for algae.. i'm just looking to add more LIFE to the rocks lol. But i guess it wouldn't be that hard if i had money to spend.. lol.

Anyways.. if i have bubble algae in my fuge.. could it spread to my DT? I have two little bubbles that i KNOW are bubble algae, which are in my fuge, and was wondering if i should dispose of them now, manually, or if they will just grow in the fuge and no where else..

Yeah i definitey agree with you on that. Maybe i should just wait it out and see what happens instead of wanting algae so bad lol. I'm getting some brownish diatom growth on everything, and that's what's feeding my snail and two hermits, so hopefully when the diatoms run out there will be some algae to feed on. I'm not even looking for algae.. i'm just looking to add more LIFE to the rocks lol. But i guess it wouldn't be that hard if i had money to spend.. lol.

Anyways.. if i have bubble algae in my fuge.. could it spread to my DT? I have two little bubbles that i KNOW are bubble algae, which are in my fuge, and was wondering if i should dispose of them now, manually, or if they will just grow in the fuge and no where else..

I would definitely pull them out now and throw them away whole. It is possible to spread into the display.

Back
Top Bottom