Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
some frozen foods cubes some dry pellets. how do you rinse them off?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Put the cube in a small container of water, thaw, then drain the water off before feeding. Some folks will go an extra step and add water again and then drain it off a second time.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:11 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with most of what has been said here so far. I would definately stop getting premixed SW from the LFS, even buying their RO/DI is risky because they may not change their filters as frequently as they should. Testing the RO/DI water you get from them with a TDS meter will help you to know what quality water you are getting.

With a 12g nano I would be doing at least 2 PWCs a week especially since you don't have a skimmer on the tank. Feeding is a topic that is all over the place. I have gone back to feeding 1 time a day and have had no issues with it. On a small tank like that with only 2 clowns you should only feed what they consume quickly. Small amounts at a time to make sure they aren't leaving food in the tank. Also what kind of cleaning crew do you have in the tank? If you don't have very many snails I would suggest adding some. Having 12 snail in the tank is a good idea. Typically you want 1 snail per gallon of water. A good cleaning crew will help to elimnate any extra food in the tank that your clowns miss.

Reducing your photo is a good idea but as was stated it is only a quick fix and not going to solve the problem. Do you test your water for Nitrates and Phosphates? If you don't then I suggest doing some tests and see what's going on in there.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Whats a TDS meter?

I've only been doing very small feedings. what they can finish in about 1 min or so. But i think i will cut that back to every other day like everyone has suggested and see how that goes.

4x nassarius snails. up till a day or two ago i have 4 mexican turbo snails but two died on me and i havn't seen the third in a day or two which has me a little worried. 3x blue leg hermits and 2x astrial snails. I was actually going to go in some time in the next day or two to pick up a bit bigger crew since its getting a little small.

I test for nitrates but i need a more accurate test and i'm thinking i will pick up a PO4 test when i get the crew.

I'm considering building a sump (maybe 10gal) when i move my tank back home and have the tools to build it. That way i would have plenty of room for a skimmer and possibly a small fuge. Any thoughts?
Old 03-05-2008, 12:29 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Cleaning crew.

Add astrea snails to your crew. If you can afford it get 6 of them small ones if they have them at your LFS. They will help on the algae. Hermits can and will kill your snails so just be aware of that.

Adding a 10 sump with a fuge is a GREAT idea. You will be nearly doubling your total water volume which will help you dilute any potential issues in your system. Adding a skimmer is also a great idea.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:35 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks i'll see if my LFS has them when i go. I have some extra shells for them to grow into to try and cut back on the amount of snail murders going on. The turbos would have been way way to big for them to want their shells though. would they just kill them for something to eat?

I should be able to build a sump for fairly cheap once i get home. I'm still thinking about the best way to do it though since i have one of those prepackaged all in one nano cubes. I think i would have to drill out some holes in the back to work out the plumbing.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:38 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well the trick you are going to have is getting the water to overflow out of your nano and down to your sump. The other option you have is to put your sump above your tnak and pump water up to it and let gravity work for you. I'm not familiar with the nano cubs to know how they are built so I can't help you a lot there.

As for building the sump that is very easy. I'll dig up some pics of the 10g sump I made and post them for you to look at.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:42 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have some ideas about how i wanna do it and i've been looking on the net of different ways to build overflows and plum sumps and the like. I'm in my senior year of and engineering degree so hopefully i will be able to figure out something simple like this. haha can let my fish out smart me
Old 03-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You shouldn't have any problems then
Old 03-05-2008, 05:52 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
Whats a TDS meter?
TDS is Total Dissolved Solids and measures 'impurties' in the freshwater. RO/DI water should be 0ppm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
...even buying their RO/DI is risky because they may not change their filters as frequently as they should. Testing the RO/DI water you get from them with a TDS meter will help you to know what quality water you are getting.
The LFS in my area is excellent in that regard. They have the dates of when they changed out posted on plastic holders containing the pre-sediment and carbon block and several inline TDS meters on the RO/DI unit (after the carbon block, after the membrane, after the 1st DI resin AND after the 3rd DI resin/final output).

Tags
light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com