Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Lights out?

If i turn my lights out for a couple days to slow down some algae i got going on will this stress out my coral to much? Do you think it will actauly get rid of the algae? How many days should i keep the lights off ( i was thinking 2 maybe 3)? see below for a list of corals.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Geeze, I really don't know man. I know that a few days of lights-out is fine for the fish in FW tanks, but coral may be different. I'm interested to find out. I imagine it would be okay, it does get dark for a few days where coral grows just like plants so I don't see why they'd be different but I really have no idea.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The corals should be able to tolerate a 2 or 3 day black out, but they might get a little stressed.

The lack of light will probably cause a major die-off of some nuisance algae and cyanobacteria. HOWEVER...

The factors which permit the algae to live and thrive (i.e., nutrients like nitrate and phosphate) will continue to exist in the water after the 2-3 day black out. It's probably better to address the root problem of the algae.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay-bee19 View Post
... It's probably better to address the root problem of the algae.
Think you nailed it there kay-bee.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah i know I'm not fixing the root of the problem. I'm still trying to figure out what that is exactly. I've cut back on feedings (once a day and small. all food is finished) been doing regular water changes. probably at least 20% a week. and still no results. I'm open for suggestions on anything else i might be able to do. The only other thing i can think of is that its the pre mix water i buy from the LFS so next time i go in i will just buy the ro/di fresh and mix it myself. I have a feeling that its just because its such a small tank the it feeds on the nitrates. I don't have a sump to put macro in and i don't have room for a skimmer. : ( This is just a fix until i can mix my own water and while i figure out whats going on.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Same issue here , I modified my lighting to 3 hours aday just enough to get the corals open up and to see it . At the end of the 3 days (perhaps more depending on the fall of it )I will do another 50% water change upon the one I did on saturday . (Actually it will be about 1 week out of light) I only have one or 2 patches of green hair algea and more of a brown string algea else where , I feel it is partial diatoms that will burn out but I think with the extra water changes and the modified lighting it cant hurt at the end of this week I will change out my pads (used 2 weeks ) and replace with all new media such as purigen , chemi pure and phosguard along with the carbon .... I my root came from lighting upgrade and also people (me included ) over feeding I have moved the food to the kitchen so I have to think about it when I feed It is just some times hard to see lilfish sitting there begging . I have gone to 1x a week feedings and we all seem happy
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
Yeah i know I'm not fixing the root of the problem. I'm still trying to figure out what that is exactly.
While I'm not a real fan of "nanos" (although with a 46g, some may consider THAT a nano!), I'd have to think that keeping 2 clowns and a jawfish in a 12g is the root of your problem.

Seems like most folks that keep nanos in good shape have about one fish in them, if that, or are doing water changes several times a week. They are not a good sized tank to start the hobby with.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

actually i have to update that. the jawfish didn't make it through acclimation. I think one of my clown fish was bullying him is well. Your right though the jawfish was probably pushing it. I am just going to stick with the two clowns. I wish i could do something besides a nano but that is all money and space will allow.

Thanks for you help everyone. I'll try going dark for a couple days and see how it goes.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Here is a good plan of attack.

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "10 Step Plan for Nuisance Algae Control"

BTW your corals would be OK for 2 or three days.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
You really can be feeding every other day with no problems as well. I would cut back on the feedings. What are you feeding btw? Frozen foods should be well-rinsed before adding to the tank, if you are not doing that already.

Tags
light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com