Lights too hot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piercy87

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yesterday was the first day I had the lights on properly all day. And the temp rose from 24.5 to 26.9 I have 2 corals and 2 cleaner shrimp and a flame back angel. Will the temp changing like this have a big effect? I also want to install 2 fans in the lid to take the heat away from the lights as I can't change the hight. Any suggestions on fans to use?

Hi, I had a temp rise this summer from 25c to 29c. Not good for anemones as mine died.
I used a mobile air con unit in the hot weeks that we did have. My temp is around 27c at the moment but everything seems to be flourishing.
Wouldn't worry to much as most Corals a quite hardy, look what they have probably been through before getting to your tank.

While the high end of your temperature range isnt that hot, the constant swinging is going to be what will cause you problems in the long run. Especially because tanks usually fall a degree at the coldest point of the night. You'll want to get that down to only around a degree change tops.
Do you have lids on the tank?
How long are your lights on and what kind of lights?

Jimbo7 said:
While the high end of your temperature range isnt that hot, the constant swinging is going to be what will cause you problems in the long run. Especially because tanks usually fall a degree at the coldest point of the night. You'll want to get that down to only around a degree change tops.
Do you have lids on the tank?
How long are your lights on and what kind of lights?

I have lids on the tank and I know my lighting generates a lot of heat. I haven't had my heater on for about 3 months now.
My light are on for 10 hrs a day. However I do turn one set off to help with the heat prob.
Tank is now at 27c.

Back
Top Bottom