Lion fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BallinCrew10 said:
Looking good. Did you get anything to feed him yet? Live feeder shrimp usually work if he won't eat.

No. I got frozen food right now. Praying he'll eat it.

Kio707 said:
No. I got frozen food right now. Praying he'll eat it.

Well if not I know my LFS has feeder shrimp for like $.50 a piece. Just don't feed him goldfish, very bad for him and he could get lockjaw and starve.

BallinCrew10 said:
Well if not I know my LFS has feeder shrimp for like $.50 a piece. Just don't feed him goldfish, very bad for him and he could get lockjaw and starve.

Yeah, reading up on that now.

Tried mysis shrimp. He looked at it, but didn't eat. I'm going to try silverslides tomorrow if the food is still left.

Kio707 said:
Yeah, reading up on that now.

Good. Too many people don't do enough research.

Kio707 said:
Tried mysis shrimp. He looked at it, but didn't eat. I'm going to try silverslides tomorrow if the food is still left.

Yea, you'll probably have more luck with the silversides.

You may, and I stress may, have to start off with live food (either rosys or feeder shrimp) just to get him to eat, then it should be doing cake work to swap him to prepared food

**edit** and please don't ever feed him goldfish, that's about the equivalent of 3 day old mcdonalds..

I would say another reason he didn't eat off the bat was being moved around. Poor little guy was probably scared senseless, I would try the mysis one or two more times then go for another food. Just give him alittle time to relax.

I have a red dwarf in my predator tank and he wouldn't eat for the first couple days, 3rd day I sprayed some garlic flavor on the mysis and he went to town and haven't had any trouble since.

BTW, very cool looking fish and I am jealous. After he gets used to you, he'll be like another family pet. Mine is very interactive with me.

Last edited:
When I 1st put in the turkey baster he came right up to it. Gave me the idea he'd eat prepared food. He's very bold, not scared of me or the feeder. I'll try some krill or silverslides today. And no one has live food. The only type they do is goldfish...

He ate! He ate!!! 33 yr old man sounding like a 6 yr old... Lol. Had frozen squid and he ate some. Even took some off the LR I had in there... Thank God! I was nervous. I'm still going to get some silver slides and krill.

Don't be surprised to see him go days without eating... it may not happen but they are known to do it sometimes.. glad he ate for ya, I remember that exact feeling with mine

He ate! He ate!!! 33 yr old man sounding like a 6 yr old... Lol. Had frozen squid and he ate some. Even took some off the LR I had in there... Thank God! I was nervous. I'm still going to get some silver slides and krill.

LOL Wish I had a hidden cam. :D

This is a full lion! Had 4 lil rosies. Ferocious eater! I also got silver slides, but wanted him eating now. Make sure he's able to and how he does.

Last edited:
Kio707 said:
This is a full lion! Had 4 lil rosies. Ferocious eater! I also got silver slides, but wanted him eating now. Make sure he's able to and how he does.

That is a BEUTIFUL fish. Just awesome. Is he going in your 90 then 180, or straight from the QT. To the 180?

Gboy66 said:
That is a BEUTIFUL fish. Just awesome. Is he going in your 90 then 180, or straight from the QT. To the 180?

Going to 125... 180 fell through. Guy had already sold it and didn't take it off CL. He'll stay in QT due to the fact I have some fish it can eat. Lol

Kio707 said:
Going to 125... 180 fell through. Guy had already sold it and didn't take it off CL. He'll stay in QT due to the fact I have some fish it can eat. Lol

Lol ya i figured. Dumb question, but do the lions spines harm other fish?

Anddd this is why the volitan is my favorite fish by far:) the most amazing look fish! that looks like a yellow variant though, is he? i almost got upset because a few days after i bought my black lion, my lfs got a yellow in , of course wouldnt trade mine for a million dollars now...(well maybe)

huma-huma said:
Anddd this is why the volitan is my favorite fish by far:) the most amazing look fish! that looks like a yellow variant though, is he? i almost got upset because a few days after i bought my black lion, my lfs got a yellow in , of course wouldnt trade mine for a million dollars now...(well maybe)

Not suppose to be. His bottom fins are black. I thought as he got older they would turn darker? If not, oh well. Never seen anyone with a yellow one.

Back
Top Bottom