Lion fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kio707

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am getting a 3 inch lion fish for my soon to be 180g FOWLR. I currently have a reef 90g. My question is this. My 180g will start cycling on the 23rd, and I need to still store the lion. I have 3 options. Put in QT (10g), put in 90g since he is only 3", or place in a fish holder box and place that in the 90g. Which would be the safest and easiest? :thanks:

Well if you have inverts he will gobble those up. And obviously any smaller fish.

Yeah. Afraid of that. Right now the smallest is the 6-line and misbar clown. Everyone else is about 3-4"...

He will eat any inverts and fish that will fit in his mouth. Putting him in the 90 would be a very big gamble. Odds are if he wanted to eat something in there, he'd get it before you can get him out lol.

Good point. Both of you. So I'll put it in the 10g QT. Appreciate the advice. If he went in the 90, I'd basically put it on a fish holding cell. I just know my 90 is alot more established.

If at all possible, I'd take a piece of LR from your 90 and put it in the QT. Since he's gonna be in there for a while it'll prevent a cycle from happening and him dying. Unless you have a biowheel or something running on the 90. In that case disreguard the LR statement lol

BallinCrew10 said:
If at all possible, I'd take a piece of LR from your 90 and put it in the QT. Since he's gonna be in there for a while it'll prevent a cycle from happening and him dying. Unless you have a biowheel or something running on the 90. In that case disreguard the LR statement lol

My 90 has a 55g sump. The QT has a lil flurva filter. I guess I could add a LR.

Kio707 said:
My 90 has a 55g sump. The QT has a lil flurva filter. I guess I could add a LR.

If the QT's filter is running on the 90 when you're not using the QT it can just be thrown on and the lion will be fine. If you're not using it and just put it on the QT it will cycle and he'll most likely die. Adding a piece of LR even for just a week or so will prevent a cycle and give the HOB filter time to grow bacteria. It will also make the lion a little more comfortable and give him a place to hide.

Better idea, is there a fuge in that sump? If so put him in there. Or do you have rubble in the sump? You could add the rubble to the QT so you don't have to tear you aquascaping apart. Just throwing ideas around.

BallinCrew10 said:
Better idea, is there a fuge in that sump? If so put him in there. Or do you have rubble in the sump? You could add the rubble to the QT so you don't have to tear you aquascaping apart. Just throwing ideas around.

And I'm listening... My sump has skimmer, macro chamber, then return pump. U can see it on my new tank thread. Here are a few pics of when I started. And I could us rubble... Good call...

Last edited:
I think its getting overcomplicated, just transfer a few pounds of live rock over to the 10g along with the filter... lions are pretty hardy and can handle variations better than normal, not sayin the water quality doesn't need upkept but still

huma-huma said:
I think its getting overcomplicated, just transfer a few pounds of live rock over to the 10g along with the filter... lions are pretty hardy and can handle variations better than normal, not sayin the water quality doesn't need upkept but still

I added a couple of pieces of rubble, DT water, and running it now.

Not gonna lie, im 100% jealous of the sump though...I bought a 55 last year at petcos infamous sale and the only time its had water in it was when I bought the 125... I even sacrificed a 10g in an attempt to make baffles

huma-huma said:
Not gonna lie, im 100% jealous of the sump though...I bought a 55 last year at petcos infamous sale and the only time its had water in it was when I bought the 125... I even sacrificed a 10g in an attempt to make baffles

I had a glass shop cut them to my specifications. Then built it. It's easy. Plus the 55 was free...

Back
Top Bottom