Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2004, 12:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lion fish

Hi all ,I bought a lion fish sunday, he has not eaten yet ,does not seem to be interested in anything I put in there ,I even tried one of those probes that the fish can't see when its in the water, the fish guy told me to put food on it and move it around in front of the fish, I did that and my eel and trigger attacked it but my lion was not interested, thinking maybe a few feeders for now just to get some food in him while I work on his feedings
he is a small vul????? lion, any advise?

Old 10-05-2004, 04:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
since he is new to the tank, he may still be adjusting. IME lions dont really eat every day anyway. did you ask when you bought him what he was being fed? if he was on feeders you will have to wean him off of them, its not hard ive done it a lot of times where i work. just give him a couple days and he will get adjusted and hungry and he'll go after it. if he is still refusing food after a week, then you might want to try feeders. most carnivourous fish only eat intermittently in the wild, and usually a big amount, so they are built to last around 14 days without food... but it wouldnt try starving the guy for two weeks

good luck!

Old 10-05-2004, 04:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I hear that Lions will accept almost anything, if they have been starved long enough. Seems cruel, but it really isn't when he is hungry enough, he will eat.

Once he does start eating, Don't feed him everyday. Lions do not need to eat every day. small amounts every other day, or every couple of days is fine.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 05:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

FROM WHAT i UNDERSTATHEY ONLY HAD HIM A WEEK AND THEY WERE FEEDING HIM THE FREEZE DRIED KRILL
Old 10-05-2004, 06:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I went through this last week. Got mine on a sunday and he didn'r eat until Friday. Now he eats everything I put in there. He evens eates the other fished crap. He's making it tough to feed the other fish. I'm calling him "Hover"
Old 10-05-2004, 06:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
yea i agree that he is probably just adjusting
Old 10-07-2004, 03:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Then I did the wrong thing, I was so worried I went and bought some feeders, he is small so he has been eating one small fish a night, did I spoil him now ,what should I do
I was just so afraid he would die ,between the angel and tang bothering him and being new I wanted to make sure he was up to full strenth
Old 10-20-2004, 11:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

My lion ate fairly quickly, but others it does take longer. But I'm still feeding him live ghost shrimp. All of my other fish are afraid of the lion, and back away when he's eating. Oh yeah what feeders are you feeding him?

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:32 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to amphibianboy528
: 8O 8) :P :|

Tags
lion fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com