Lion Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glstine

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have noticed on some posts that the general consensus on Lion fish is they are not reef safe. I have been doing research on lion's cuz my wife really wants one, but, I want a reef tank. What I've read is they are reef fish, however, they will eat fish that can fit in their mouth, clams and shrimp and the heavy bioload.

The eating fish and shrimp I can deal with (just won't have any that would be a good meal). The bioload, I figure I can monitor the water chemistry carefully and perform frequent water changes. And of course there is the little venom issue.

Am I being naive on this? I would just plan on the lion fish, some corals, snails, crabs and a cucumber.

There has been some mis-information floating around the site the last few days, about the reef compatability of Lionfish. If you are aware of the danger a lionfish poses, you know they will eat the shrimp or small fish in your tank, and you monitor your water chemestry, and keep up with regular water changes, there is no reason you can not house a lion in your reef aquarium. I personally do not care for predators in my reefs, but that is preference, rather than neccesity. Depending on the size of the tank, a Fu Manchu or a Dwarf Zebra, would make a nice edition, and wouldn't limit your fish choices as much as a Volitan, or a Radiata.

remember, everything that people say is technically just a opinion. There are no acual rules to saltwater. There is however guidelines. I always say, if you feel you really want to try something, then do it. Most of the time you will see the consiquences that people told you are true, but everyonce in a while you will do something that goes totally against what everyone says and it will work. ( keep in mind this is rare, and in some cases can cost lots.) I have successfully kept a tomato and a maroon clown together, and a coral beauty and a flame angel together, these were both things i was told i couldnt do. Im not saying that the advise of the people is wrong, but if you are convinced you want to try something then do it, youll find out if it was a mistake. happy fish keeping.

Thanks for the info. I don't mind being experimentive :?: however, I don't want to be cruel to any poor little sea dwellers either.

lions

In agreement with the previous post, I think a dwarf would be a good choice. Volitans can get quite large (up to 18"). If I'm not mistaken, the dwarfs only get 6-7 inches. If I may recommend one, the Fuzzy Dwarf (Dendrochirus brachypterus) stays relatively small and is fairly personable. We have one at the store who seems to know me since I feed him. He ignores the customers, but rushes to the front glass when I approach. The only rule we adhere to at the store concerning Lionfish is nothing that will fit in it's mouth goes in the tank with it. We have found them to be quite peaceful with other larger fish. Remember, don't feed your Lion freshwater feeder fish (guppies, goldfish, ect...) because these do not have nutrients that marine fish need to survive. A constant diet of these will eventually cause the Lion to expire from liver failure. I know that's a little off subject, but it's one of my favorite things to preach so maybe you will indulge me on that :) .
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom