Lion Fish and Cleaner Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kohan Bros.

Aquarium Advice Freak
i was wondering can a lion fish live in the same tank with a couple of shrimp or will it eat them

P.S. i heard that shrimp and crabs if atecould get stuck in the lion fishes intestinal tract is this true and what happenes if this is to occure

usually if they get stuck just give them a boiled pea and that will prevent blockage not to shure about the compability though sorry

IMO, you would be feeding your lionfish an expensive snack. I am sure there are probably cases where they co existed side by side and lived happily ever after, but that would be the exception and not the rule.
As far as feeding a boiled pea, it would be very hard to get the lion to consume it. That works nicely on herbivores but not too well on the meat eaters.

I temporarely had my volitan in my display tank when I first got him along with a blood shrimp, coral banded shrimp, 4 damsels, and 2 percs.
Within 2 days one of the percs was gone(tail sticking out of lions mouth) and took the other back to LFS. The lion, damsels, and 2 shrimp coexsisted for another 2 weeks, the shrimp actually got close enough on occasion to clean the lion. Until I came home from work one day and no banded shrimp(feelers sticking out of lions mouth).

HTH,
Rich

Odds are that once the lion is big enough the shrimp will get eaten. Mine just waited until he felt like a little snack, then no more shrimp.

The first rule of thumb with Lionfish is this,If it will fit in it's mouth it WILL be eaten.I had a Lawnmower Blenny and dominoDamsel in a 55 gal.with a Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish and didn't feed him for a week and the Lion ate both of them.

I also have a lionfish, at first i was new to this type of fish (should have done some reading first) 2 clownfish, a shrimp and 1 lion fish in a 65gal tank. After few weeks later i guess the lionfish was big enough to chow down the clownfish. Got back form work??? wha da.. where's my clownfish?!? 8O all sign was pointing at my lionfish :oops: Next thing you know, the only member in my tank was my lionfish. :?

Back
Top Bottom