Lion fish food/shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keysman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it ok if my zebra lionfish eats a marine glass shrimp
I found a good source of them and was wonder if they have the right nutritional value
I have heard if you feed them freshwater feeder fish it can kill them

It is okay, but a high quality pellet is a better option. If this is all it will eat so far it is a good start, but try to get it on frozen and then on to hih quality pellets.

I have tried with the frozen (about 3 weeks) but if the live shrimp is ok in nutritional value then why change

Because one whole food item is not a complete diet. It may be 'okay enough' or better than nothing, but it is not a complete and balanced diet. Look at the ingredients on a high quality pellet. Live shrimp are equivalent to the first ingredients, one protein source. It doesn't have all those other supplements that are vital for long term success.

Try using those rigid air tubes. Cut one end at an angle so it makes a good skewer. Put a piece of shrimp, scallop, or whatever frozen food you have on the end and wiggle it in from of the lion. If this doesn't work the first time don't feed him shrimp for a few days and then offer some frozen food with a garlic flavor enhancer on it.

What species is this?
What size?

As I said it's a zebra lionfish
It's about 3 inches
I'm just thinking because it eats mainly crustation in the wild then that should be fine for him

I tried the starved him for two days then offer him frozen but not intrested so then I would feed him 2 live feeder fish
This went on for 3 weeks

Two days is nothing for them. They could eat just once per week if that was you schedule (although at that size it should be more).

Eating a variety of wild crustaceans in the wild and eating one type of farmed shrimp in captivity is very different nutritionally.

Keep trying to get him on a better diet.

What frozen foods did you try exactly? Did you try the wiggling frozen meat chunks on a stick like I suggested? Food from the seafood section at the grocery would be ideal. Scallops are good to work with, as are raw shrimp.

Um the shrimp I get are from the local marine boat ramp so they are not farmed
And yes I did try to put it on a skew and wiggle it I tried frozed white bait (whole fish) and frozen krill

I think I will stick with the marine shrimp if they are nutritional fine but I will try to get him on frozen at some stage

Just keep trying, he should take to it eventually.

Wild caught could be worse in a way. They have a higher risk of introducing pathogens, toxic chemicals, etc.

Fishguy2727 said:
Just keep trying, he should take to it eventually.

Wild caught could be worse in a way. They have a higher risk of introducing pathogens, toxic chemicals, etc.

My black lion won't eat anything but minos I've tried pellets frozen food but nothing works.

Buy one of the garlic additives. They don't have all the power of garlic, but they will get the garlic flavor to the food. This should help it take frozen fish (like whole silversides). You could even put it in the water the minnows are in before you feed them to the lion so they smell like garlic, making it easier to get the lion to take other garlic flavored foods.

Fishguy2727 said:
Buy one of the garlic additives. They don't have all the power of garlic, but they will get the garlic flavor to the food. This should help it take frozen fish (like whole silversides). You could even put it in the water the minnows are in before you feed them to the lion so they smell like garlic, making it easier to get the lion to take other garlic flavored foods.

Ok I will give it a try

Back
Top Bottom