lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bskerrichard27

Aquarium Advice Addict
Thought this was kinda interesting for those who don't know I work at crystal river nuclear power plant on the west coast of Florida.this morning during our routine safety briefing we were informed that the invasive lion fish has made it to crystal river and that they were swarming the intake and we should avoid contact at all cost due to there toxicity threat to humans...I thought this was kinda cool the very species I have kept in my predator tank for years can know be found in my back yard..I'm gunna try to take some pictures to post

bskerrichard27 said:
Thought this was kinda interesting for those who don't know I work at crystal river nuclear power plant on the west coast of Florida.this morning during our routine safety briefing we were informed that the invasive lion fish has made it to crystal river and that they were swarming the intake and we should avoid contact at all cost due to there toxicity threat to humans...I thought this was kinda cool the very species I have kept in my predator tank for years can know be found in my back yard..I'm gunna try to take some pictures to post

Yes, in fact they be found all the way up the atlantic coast with some reports of them being caught in net all the way up to new york. We vacation in the outerbanks n.c and were told by the captian of the boat we chartered we would catch one by the end of the day. We didnt but i quess that can give insight on how invasive this species is.

Worst fish ever released in our area! Preys on our young snapper, grouper and all other smaller fish with no predators to consume them and a insane reproduction cycle? we caught some while free diving. In south fla were told to kill them.we have lionfish derby with over 3000 killed on a sat and sun. Never release non native fish anywhere fresh or salt.

Thats insane... Pretty cool though! I found what looked like a molly in a saltwater bay outside out house... It was pretty cool.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Thats insane... Pretty cool though! I found what looked like a molly in a saltwater bay outside out house... It was pretty cool.

I maybe wrong but to my knowledge mollys are brackish species of fishermen and are found throughout the world.

There's nothing cool about an invasive species disrupting an ecosystem.

Yur right not cool I just thought it was impressive because I have never seen one in the wild and the fact how far they have reached in the gulf ... Again wish it was not invasive but when u see a bunch swarming a power plant intake its fascinating

Back
Top Bottom