Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

lionfish

Thought this was kinda interesting for those who don't know I work at crystal river nuclear power plant on the west coast of Florida.this morning during our routine safety briefing we were informed that the invasive lion fish has made it to crystal river and that they were swarming the intake and we should avoid contact at all cost due to there toxicity threat to humans...I thought this was kinda cool the very species I have kept in my predator tank for years can know be found in my back yard..I'm gunna try to take some pictures to post

Old 08-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskerrichard27
Thought this was kinda interesting for those who don't know I work at crystal river nuclear power plant on the west coast of Florida.this morning during our routine safety briefing we were informed that the invasive lion fish has made it to crystal river and that they were swarming the intake and we should avoid contact at all cost due to there toxicity threat to humans...I thought this was kinda cool the very species I have kept in my predator tank for years can know be found in my back yard..I'm gunna try to take some pictures to post
Yes, in fact they be found all the way up the atlantic coast with some reports of them being caught in net all the way up to new york. We vacation in the outerbanks n.c and were told by the captian of the boat we chartered we would catch one by the end of the day. We didnt but i quess that can give insight on how invasive this species is.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Worst fish ever released in our area! Preys on our young snapper, grouper and all other smaller fish with no predators to consume them and a insane reproduction cycle😞 we caught some while free diving. In south fla were told to kill them.we have lionfish derby with over 3000 killed on a sat and sun. Never release non native fish anywhere fresh or salt.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats insane... Pretty cool though! I found what looked like a molly in a saltwater bay outside out house... It was pretty cool.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
Thats insane... Pretty cool though! I found what looked like a molly in a saltwater bay outside out house... It was pretty cool.
I maybe wrong but to my knowledge mollys are brackish species of fishermen and are found throughout the world.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

There's nothing cool about an invasive species disrupting an ecosystem.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yur right not cool I just thought it was impressive because I have never seen one in the wild and the fact how far they have reached in the gulf ... Again wish it was not invasive but when u see a bunch swarming a power plant intake its fascinating

Tags
lionfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com