Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2005, 11:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lionfish ???

I love them, they look great 8)
Any way please view this site. http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...article_id=249
I would love one of these with 2 common clowns.
If I eventually decided to get one it would not be till Christmas lol, I would need to save up for live rock lol any way .....
they would be housed in a 30 gal tank like stated on the site.
30 pounds of live rock.
Live Sand.

Please comment.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to tailbarlionfish
yay i hope you do get a lionfish...i love them!!!!!
they're so sweet...but so deadly too. Just remember...do not touch their rays!!!

2angelfish,3dwarf cichlids(1gold ram,1bolivian ram and 1ram),3corys,3clownloaches and 1zebra loach.
A tank with 3 fighters;1 male, 2 females
Please can you all at least take a look at my post in the unhealthy fish forum. Its called 'whats wrong with my tank'. I really wold like some replies because my fish are dying one by one and i dont want to lose all of them!
tailbarlionfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to pufferman
the clowns should be preferably bigger than the lionfish as lionfish can swallow prey larger than their head.
Tank Specs as of December 29, 2005:Ammonia:0;Nitrite: 0;Nitrate=0;Cu:0
PH: 8.3
SG: 1.028;Temp: 79-84 degrees F (Adjusts throughout the day)
pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pufferman
the clowns should be preferably bigger than the lionfish as lionfish can swallow prey larger than their head.
I had a dwarf lion that swallowed a blue damsel that was almost the same size. If your set on the lion, I'd rethink the clowns.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, Thank you. Is there anything else that could go with the lionfish ?
Old 08-13-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

In a 30g? Not much. Because of the heavier bioload created by a lion, it's gonna pretty much fill up a 30g tank. Maybe some starfish and snails. The fuzzy dwarf gets up to 7" and grows really fast as well.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok Thank you. Could there be 2 of these lionfish ?

or would you advise just one with other life, I love crabs and starfish like 8)

Bare in mind I will be a beginner.

I personally think the one with other life form in there

btw fluff I know you have kept them so what are they like. I haveonly seen pics my lfs does not sell them.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are great fish. They are easy to care for, so long as you respect them and work in the tank with caution. I find the dwarf lions to be braver than the large ones in that they will come up to you instead of shying away. This is why you need to be careful when working in the tank. It's not aggression, moreso, curiosity. Also, it's best for the fish and you to get him eating prepared foods right from the start. Mine eat dried krill, silversides and raw shrimp (cut up, not whole). He will also take flakefood from the surface but, that's rare. Get a feeding stick, this makes feeding and training them much much easier and they only cost about a 1.50. Once eating, they are greedy. Feeding two/three times a week is fine, they don't need fed every day. Keep him hungry and healthy. Keeping two in a tank is possible, but again, the one is gonna pretty much dominate a 30g tank bioload wise.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok thank you alot fluff like I said I am a newbie and havnt even got a tank sorted or anything lol .... I will ahve to wait for a while so I can afford live rock.
Would you advise these to a newbie in s/w ?
Old 08-13-2005, 02:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would stick with just one lionfish in a 30 gallon. Mainly for bioload as well as any aggression that might take place in a smaller aquarium. I'm going to reiterate what others have said with the pairing of lions with clowns. When I worked at Petco I had fuzzy dwarf's in with the clowns, and never had an incident except once. I came in one morning, and found a clarkii in the mouth of a small fuzzy dwarf. So it could happen, and would be best to stay away from that possibility.

Lions are easy to care for as long as you keep the ammonia down. They are especially sensitive to ammonia poisoning. So make sure your tank is fully cycled before you put your lionfish in the tank.

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lionfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com