Lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hutch

Aquarium Advice Regular
Would I be okay with one lionfish in a 65gal set up with only a canister filter and no skimmer. I would be feeding probably a mixture of foods some live some fresh cut seafood selects from grocery store.

I would probably through in a few pound of LR to.

Thanks in advance

What type of lionfish are you considering? One volitans lion would be ok in that tank. Lions like to hide under ledges of the rock so be sure to have plenty of places available. Canister filter is fine. I don't know much about them but I believe people generally remove the filter media and replace it with liverock rubble. Lastly, I'm not sure what live foods you are considering but unless you are considering feeding damsels or some other sw fish that you are breeding and can be 100% sure is disease free, I would skip the live. It's not necessary. Lions with some patience will readily take freezedried, thawed or fresh seafood.

yeah you dont want to feed feeder fish they might carry diseases and are just kinda a hassle and can get expensive. Get him on frozen and good luck!

The best tank I ever had was my tank that had a lion and my triggers. I would feed my lionfish formula one frozen cubes. One gulp it's gone. It was also the cleanest tank I have ever kept as well.

IMO a tank with a messy eater like a lion or trigger or moray should have a good protein skimmer. It will help to keep the water quality from going down hill after feedings. Over time nitrates will build and effect the health of the fish.

Sloppy Joe said:
IMO a tank with a messy eater like a lion or trigger or moray should have a good protein skimmer. It will help to keep the water quality from going down hill after feedings. Over time nitrates will build and effect the health of the fish.

Water changes will take care of these problems.

I hope I am not stealing the thread, but I was just wondering if multiple dwarf lionfish or fu manchu lionfish could be kept together in a tank the same size with the same setup as described above.

Would I be okay with one lionfish in a 65gal set up with only a canister filter and no skimmer. I would be feeding probably a mixture of foods some live some fresh cut seafood selects from grocery store.

I would probably through in a few pound of LR to.

You should be fine just do the water changes. Keep in mind Volitans are very fast growers, I would add some LR but watch for sharp pieces I find they can tears their fins on them.
Avoid live Fresh water foods but any live SW food is fine, Volitans are pretty easy to get on Frozen foods, try to offer a variety of foods such as Raw shrimp, Scallops & Silversides just use a feeding stick to feed.

I hope I am not stealing the thread, but I was just wondering if multiple dwarf lionfish or fu manchu lionfish could be kept together in a tank the same size with the same setup as described above.

You can keep a Male with some (2-3) females but not two males together when it comes to fuzzies. You should not keep more than one Fu man chu in a tank, they will harass one another to death.

Back
Top Bottom