lionfish and stingray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bgen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am setting up a new tank and I am thinking about have a lionfish and maybe a stingray I have always wanted both and wasn't sure if they were compatible. If I do get a lionfish and a stingray they will probably be the only thing in there, also can you have any shrimp or crabs with either of them?

Not unless you are planning on using the inverts as feeders for them. How big of a tank are you planning on? I think the Ray will need at least a 150gal tank with a sandy bottom and room to swim while the Lion will need a lot of Rock to be happy. I dont that this will be a good combination of fish. Maybe the Ray and a Boxfish or a Puffer. Or the Lion with either or those 2.

ok well with the stingray out of the picture would a 35 gallon be big enough for a dwarf fuzzy lion fish? for about 6 months till I get a 125 in and set up?

That will work, but that lionfish needs cooler water and lower SG than most inverts can tolerate. That and the fact that all lionfish are preditors so he will eat anything that is small enough to fit in his mouth.

but that lionfish needs cooler water and lower SG than most inverts can tolerate

I had not ever heard of that, is that just that particular lionfish?

Yes. I have read that 75-77F is optimal for that species. But you know you shouldnt believe everthing you read.

I've had a Fuzzy for about 6months and I keep the temp at 79 degree's which is what I read to be the perfect temp. for them.And ALL Lionfish WILL eat anything that will fit into its mouth.I've lost a Lawnmower Blenny and a Domino Damsel to this Fuzzy so be careful of what you put into your tank because it may just vanish during the nite when they hunt.Also remember that its mouth is BIGGER than it looks.

Back
Top Bottom