Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2005, 08:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Lionfish choice

Hey, I am a new member. This site is great! So far I have learned that a Volatins will get too big for my 55g tank. Some people say maybe on a radiatta of antenetta. When I researched these a little, the care level was listed as moderate for both, but for the Volatins it says easy. Does anyone know why?
Also do the radiatta or antenetta swim throughout the tank like the Volatin or are they reclusive?
Thanks

Old 02-06-2005, 08:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are other easy, smaller species. The dwarf lions like the zebra and the fuzzy's. I believe the moderate listings is due to the fact that some are harder to get eating. The lions I listed I've had no problems getting them to eat as well as weaning them off of live food. As for swimming, mine swim the tank. They also will follow you from one end of the tank to the other. Good luck in whatever you choose. I have a pic of both types in my gallery.

Old 02-06-2005, 08:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for your quick reply! I don't care for the way the dwarf's look as much as the others.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok.
In defense of the dwarfs though, what they lack in finage, they make up in personality.
I considered the two you mentioned as well when I decided to get a lion, but, they just weren't available in my area.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hey fluff, After doing more research I am leaning towards the Zebra dwarf. I am concerned though because the places I researched indicated they are reclusive. Did you get lucky with yours or do you find their behavior typical with the other aquarists you talk to?
Old 02-06-2005, 12:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

My fuzzy dwarf I have is great.. He follows me where I go around the tank and when Im just sitting down he will sit and stare at me like a dog. He was real easy to get off live food.
MAG-DRIVE 700 GPH
2x Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Fish
Majestic Angel, Pink spotted gobie. Black percular clown, Coral Beauty, Lt. Tang, Mitratus B/F, Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish
sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I find my zebra typical. Not reclusive at all. As a matter of fact, he will come toward me as soon as he sees me. He's a very curious fish. Always watching. I know it's just because he thinks I'm gonna feed him but, it's still funny to have him recognize me and follow me around. He has lots of rock to hide under but is rarely anywhere that I can't see him.

Tags
lionfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com