Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lionfish compatability

I was considering getting a dwarf lionfish. If I got a small one would it be ok with other fish such as clownfish, butterfly fish, gobies or other peaceful or small fish? I was wondering if there was a good limit of how many fish to introduce into the tank at the same time?

Old 03-29-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The lion fish would be fine with them all until the day he can fit them in his mouth then they're lunch lol

Old 03-29-2012, 01:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Idk about that idea. Lionfish can eat pretty big food, and i wouldnt chance it with your other community fish! How small?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

And as for how many fish...that would depend on how you cycled it and the kind and size of the fish (more BB in a tank means it can handle more fish added to it)
Old 03-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was looking for it to be around an inch for the lionfish. I am wanting to get a pair of clownfish and was looking at a few butterfly fish. And it is a 50 gallon tank.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had a dwarf fuzzy for 5 months. While they are a very beautiful fish to watch, they truly are a pain to watch over, especially when you want smaller sized fish in the tank with it. Feeding was also a hassle at first, as he only ate live food. I had a small tank set up to do nothing but breed guppies and mollies to keep him fed. I was very happy when he started eating pieces of silverside and pellet food (about 3 months after having him).

A lion will try to eat anything just smaller than it, even if it is the length of the lion itself. Mine grew fairly quickly, so I always had to make sure nothing was close to his size. Also, he ate all the peppermint shrimp I had in my tank, so hopefully you weren't wanting shrimp in there

I see you are from Terre Haute, as am I. If you go into Inland, my fuzzy lion is the one living in the fish only tank in their display tank room. It was sad to trade him in, but I wanted smaller fish in my tank.

Tags
compatability, fish compatability, fish compatibility, introduction of fish, lionfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com