lionfish compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NanoReeferZ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
I just read that a dwarf lionfish (Dendrochirus zebra) is a hardy fish for small tanks (10-30 gallons). Would it be ok with a watchman goby, a pistol shrimp, a cleaner shrimp and some coral in a 29 gal.?
Thanks

The shrimps are toast with any lion and the zebra get ten inches so its not even suitable for a 29 gallon.

I wouldn't trust one with any shrimp or small fish. You should see my zebra lion when I put live shrimp in the tank. Not a pretty sight from a shrimps point of view.

Hondatek said:
I wouldn't trust one with any shrimp or small fish. You should see my zebra lion when I put live shrimp in the tank. Not a pretty sight from a shrimps point of view.

Get a 50g or larger if you want a lionfish, they grow fast and mine felt overstocked in a 75g so I got a larger tank.

All of those animals listed would be toast. They can eat things half their size. 30 min for the fu man chu. Even though they don't move much, you have to remember that the bioload for those fish is huge.

crister13 said:
All of those animals listed would be toast. They can eat things half their size. 30 min for the fu man chu. Even though they don't move much, you have to remember that the bioload for those fish is huge.

They wouldn't eat anything that large, they would spit it back out since it'd be impossible for them to get it through their stomach without their teeth. Maybe 1/3 their size. But everything else besides the watchman goby would be a goner.

I love this thread. Lionfish are one of my favorite predators. Google him. Had a red one for years that got the size of a small cat. They have one of the fastest pounces in the ocean. And he will eat anything he can get in his enormous mouth. Mine lived with a 2' long snowflake moray that he couldn't eat in a 55 gallon, and they were cramped.
But Lionfish don't move around that much so he was content as long as he had plenty to eat. Just get a Carribean one as they are an invasive species caused by the aquarium trade.

Back
Top Bottom