Lionfish eating Ghost Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Truupe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I have a Volitan Lionfish and a Yellow Tang. The Tang loved Brineshrimp and seaweed and the Lionfish loves Ghost Shrimp. My question is how many Ghost Shrimp should I place into the tank at once, because I acclimated about 6 Ghost Shrimp in a QT tank and within 10 minutes the Lionfish ate them all. His stomach looked as if it was about to burst. He likes them but how should I add at once.

My last question is I am selling my tank and replacing it with a larger one, is there a procedure I follow to do this? My thought was put new substrate in the new tank and transfer the water less 50 percent and slowly acclimate the fish. Right or Wrong?

Thanks for all the input

1 Lionfish (Volitan)
1 Yellow Tang
1 Toadstool Leather Coral
10 Mushroom coral
1 Xenia Coral
3 Turbo Snai ...

Truupe said:
Hello I have a Volitan Lionfish and a Yellow Tang. The Tang loved Brineshrimp and seaweed and the Lionfish loves Ghost Shrimp. My question is how many Ghost Shrimp should I place into the tank at once, because I acclimated about 6 Ghost Shrimp in a QT tank and within 10 minutes the Lionfish ate them all. His stomach looked as if it was about to burst. He likes them but how should I add at once.
Really depends on the size of the lion and the shrimp but you should never feed a fish so much it's stomach bulges excessively. Lions will eat until they literally burst as will most fish (eels being the exception). Try to guage the size of the shrimp vs the size of the lions mouth and try not to exceed that at any one feeding. I would guess about 2ish shrimp. You should also be fine with only feeding 2-3 times a week depending on the amount fed. Lions do not need to be fed daily and you will most likely have less health issues if you don't.

My last question is I am selling my tank and replacing it with a larger one, is there a procedure I follow to do this? My thought was put new substrate in the new tank and transfer the water less 50 percent and slowly acclimate the fish.
Basically yes. If the new tank is going in the same spot, then you will need to transfer as much from the old tank as possible to reduce dramatic changes. I would suggest once you have added some newer sand, take the first inch or so of the old sand and place it on top. That will reduce any possible cycle issues and at the same time seed the new sand.

If there is time and the new tank is being placed in a different area, I would set it up with the new sand and let it run a week or so first to be sure everything is operating properly. Once your ready to transfer, remove the appropriate amount of water from the new tank and do as above using as much of the old tank water as possible.

Cheers
Steve

My Volitan is very big....he eats two large cocktail shrimp every other day....if you can get your lion eating frozen foods, you can more easily control the food intake.

Back
Top Bottom