Lionfish question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chase_14_2000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm less then a beginner. I have done some research and I'd like to set up a 75g with a volitan lionfish as the center peace (I know the tank size is pushing it.) I was wondering what are some easy to care for reef, cleaners, or eels that would make suitable tank mates for the big guy.

If you want to grow the animal to adult size you will need at least 125g. In a 75g you will eventually have to trade it out for a smaller animal. Ever thought about dwarf lionfish? As far as eels go, Echidna nebulosa (snowflake eel) might be your best bet and with any other eel, besides dwarf eel, you'll have to upgrade your tank.

The snowflake eel that James was talking about. I also agree with the acesessment that you`ll eventually need a bigger tank.

100_1859.jpg

Thanks to both of you. The information I read gave a few different minimum tank sizes. If a get a Dwarf lion fish will my tank be big enough for it and a snow flake eel? I've read how lion fish like to eat so I don't want there to be any unplanned snacking by either occupant. How hard are both to keep alive? Any other compatible tank mates?

You could probably house 2-3 Dendrochirus brachypterus, Dwarf fuzzy lionfish with a snowflake eel in your 75g. The small mouths of these dwarf's should be too small to eat a snowflake eel (get one at least the diameter size of a "sharpie" marker).

Back
Top Bottom