Lionfish Sting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWerner13

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I work at a LFS and my knowledge of salt is limited as my experience resides with freshwater. We have a small saltwater section with most of the basics... live rock, damsels, clowns... ect.

I began cleaning the lionfish tank today (with care) and was distracted by a customer for about five seconds. Just long enough for the lion fish to swim up and catch my finger tip. Holy crap was I surprised as to how quickly the pain reared up and how long it lasted. We worried for a few minutes and were looking for signs of a bad reaction. But it turns out at least for me, hot water and some benydril were the only remedies necessary. I believe the lion fish in question is a young "volitale lion fish" or something close to that name.

I was just pondering a few things during my moments of pain and humilation for letting myself get stung. Is this the "average" reaction. Does it vary from species to species? Does the age of the lion fish affect the sting. What are the symptoms of a bad reaction? And really just a kind of pole of your experiences with a lion fish sting is what i'm looking for. Just curious mostly.

Thanks.

I believe the name you are looking for is Volitans lionfish or Pterois volitans. Unless you are highly allergic you are not going to need hospitalization from a lionfish sting (there's no antivenom anyways), but there will be quite a bit of swelling and depending on the severity, the pain could amount to that of a hornet sting to intense burning. Most of the time you can expect at least reasonable swelling and a burning sensation, but nausia, temperature increase, headaches, etc. may take part. Regardless of the species you are going to feel it, but I wouldn't be surprised if younger lionfish have less control. You took the necessary actions by submerging your hand in hot water (hot as you can stand) and taking some pain medication. I guess you now know why you never take your eyes away from a venomous animal while working with it ;)

I guess you now know why you never take your eyes away from a venomous animal while working with it

Indeed! I also found a way to get off work early... Not worth it most days but at least now I have a back up.

And great article Ahab, Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom