Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-26-2004, 11:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Lionfish Stings!!!

Don't worry, I didn't get stung, not yet anyway. My questions is actually reguarding my Snoflake moray eel, which keeps on approaching my lionfish and running into its spines. Is the eel immune to the effects of the lionfish's poision? Or is this going to be a problem? Also It seems like my litle snowflake wants to leave the tank as he is always eyeing holes in the lid. What can I do to prevent it from escaping? Is taping up the holes good enough?

marineFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to ogden10
I notice that when I am feeding my aggressive tank, the lion is always bumbing into other fish, and other fish into it. Including my SFE. From my understanding it is like the barb on a stingray. Just the fact that the tail touches you does not mean you get barbed, it is the action of protecting itself that barbs you. Is it during feeding time that you niotice this happening?

By the way welcome to AA

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
ogden10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:17 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
actually, the slime coat on the eels is pretty protective as well.

I use egg crate on my eel tank. It has kept the 4 of mine in. If your snowflake is super small, it could get through the eggcrate tho.....to be on the safe side, I would tape up, or do whatever you have to in order to seal the holes. make sure your tank is getting oxygenated from some means. Completely closing the top will also raise the tank temperature, so keep an eye on that until you know where it stabilizes.
Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Just be careful during feeding. I lost my snowflake eel about three weeks ago after it tried to grab my zebra lion during a feeding. I always feed the eels first but this time my snowflake got overzealous and went after the lion. I managed to get him fed and he went back into his cave but a few minutes later he was laying out in the open on his side breathing hard. Within about half an hour, he had died. These are fish who have coexisted for a couple months together without a problem.
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
My lion has stung my puffer several times, he only gets a little swelling in the immediate area that doesnt seem to bother him much.
Nitrate is offline   Reply With Quote

lionfish, sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com