Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Little help?

So Friday I get home from work and all my fish are dead(I have had them for about 5 months). I tested my water Saturday and everything came up normal, so I figured it was alright to replace what I lost a little at a time. I added a lawn mower blenny Saturday to just test the waters first hand and see how he'd do since I was still a little reluctant to put anything else in since I had just lost everything. Well I wake up this morning and the blenny is dead. I saw him last night and his gills were moving very fast like he was breathing really hard and he came up and hit the surface a few times. This leads me to believe there's a lack of oxygen in the tank but I don't see how that's possible as I have water moving in my sump which no doubt would aerate my tank. So my question is just what do you guys think is the matter? I really havn't been able to come up with anything since I tested my water and everything came up negative. I have some micro-algae growing next to my spray bar and it seems to be turning dark green and stiff looking(it was light green and very wavy before) the closer you get to the spray bar almost like something coming out of the spray bar is hurting it. I don't know if that has anything to do with my big problem but just another piece of evidence. I also have somewhat of a green hair algae problem growing on my walls and live rock could that be suffocating fish? How much is needed before the hair algae starts killing things? Because I don't think I have nearly enough to suffocate my fish. Well any help is greatly appreciated on what yall think is wrong, and I will listen to anything haha this is driving me nuts.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

what kind of fish were in the tank? i would almost think one of them got spooked and released a toxin or something that wont show up on a regular test.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

also did you do a water change before you added the blenny?
Old 09-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I had a fox face rabbit fish, niger trigger, blue spiney lobster, and spotted grouper in there. I added the blenny after all those were gone and out of the water. I have not done a water change since it all started happening though I should probably do that.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I would start water changes until 100% of the tank was changed out, say over a week. Test again, let things settle down and try the cheapest and hardiest (like a damsel) fish or coral frag you can find.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Have you checked your nitrates and ammonia? Sorry to say but it's a terrible idea to add a fish almost immediately after a whole tank of fish dies; there is certainly going to be a high amount of ammonia. Unless you did a water change I blame the blenny's death on ammonia. Has anything leaked into the tank or gone haywire? High levels of copper can kill fish.

Definitely change out the water as said above.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

this is definitely a long shot, but my local pet store had a tank that triggers, puffers, and lions kept dying in, there were 20 tanks on one side all with one huge sump, so it wasn't the water killing them, or all the other tanks woulda been destroyed also. i dont remember exactly what it was, but some sorta worm, or critter, something living IN the sand and a couple curled up in the live rock kept destroying the fish. but if water keeps comin back clean, and if no fish released any chemical, it might just be something livin in the sand or on some rock that kills everything.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yea tested again nitrates and amonias are fine. How do I even know when it's safe to add fish again?
Old 09-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

can you actually tell us the test results rather then saying normal!
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Check ur electrical devices in the tank eg heater, pump etc! Something could be broken and leaking acid, metal or what-not into the tank
That's my best guess
What decorations do you have in the tank? What kind of water are you using, what kid of salt? What is your pH? I would investigate and turn EVERY stone and Chem level there is

Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com