Live Brine vs Frozen Mysis Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

I am going to be adding a scooter Blenny to my tank, as well as a Copper banded butterfly, both of which have small mouths.

I know people before have said the frozen Brine shirmp have nothing good for the fish at all, its more like candy, and prefer feeding frozen mysis shrimp.

Does the same hold true for Live Brine shrimp?

I have been thinking about purchasing a Live brine shrimp hatcher and feeder. This should also give the fish food to eat when ever they are hungy, instead of always having to wait untill I feed them, then they all bum rush 1 corner of the tank.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-TheChad

If there is a way to "gut load" them, while they are in the breeder, you may be able to pull it off. I'm not 100% sure if that can be done. Hopefully some one that has one might be able to help better. To directly answer your question. I don't believe they are any better live. vs. frozen, well, I guess it would really have to depend on what they ate before they were frozen, which, I don't think you will be able to find out.
TheChad said:
This should also give the fish food to eat when ever they are hungy, instead of always having to wait untill I feed them, then they all bum rush 1 corner of the tank.
I feed on both ends of the tank. A little in one half and the rest in the other.

Live brine is more nutritious than frozen, but IMO a big hassle. Mysis is still better all around.

As for the scooter my question is do you have a pods population built up? Scooters are basicaly a form of dragonette and may or may not take prepared foods. They naturally graze on pods in an established set up with lots of LR (2# per gallon) or a fuge.

As for the copperabnd, good luck. I have had no luck with them. I see you have already lost 2. I know live aquaria states a 55g is big enough, but IMO larger would be better.

Is it eating in QT so far?

I have a couple of thoughts on this. Firstly, even newly hatched Artemia nauplii are inferior in nutritional value to frozen mysis shrimp. I have several friends that have tried out those hatcher/feeder units and were not impressed with them. The only advantage to the live brine is that live, moving foods are often more readily taken by many species of fish.

afilter said:
Live brine is more nutritious than frozen, but IMO a big hassle. Mysis is still better all around.

As for the scooter my question is do you have a pods population built up? Scooters are basicaly a form of dragonette and may or may not take prepared foods. They naturally graze on pods in an established set up with lots of LR (2# per gallon) or a fuge.

As for the copperabnd, good luck. I have had no luck with them. I see you have already lost 2. I know live aquaria states a 55g is big enough, but IMO larger would be better.

Is it eating in QT so far?

Bad News: The scooter Blenny was lost in transit, so for now anyway, I won't need to worry about him.

As for the Copper Butterfly... This fish I am determined to get to work. Both of the last 2 got ich and I was able to treat them, the 1st died due to tank conditions in the QT, which was a bare 10g tank, No matter what I did, i couln't keep up with the ammonia in the tank, I was changing water several times a day.....

The 2nd died after transfering from the 30g Established tank I am using as a QT tank, to the Main 55g tank. I assume that was from shock, I don't see any other reason he didn't make it.

With each issue, We learn. I am hoping now that I have learned enough about this copper butterfly to keep this 3rd one... He is one of the few butterfly's that is reef safe, and I just love to watch them.

As for the size of the tank. In the next 1-2 years we will be building a home and will have a 100+ gal in wall tank. So this 55 is just for 1-2 years. I doubt he will get to a full size in that time.

-TheChad

OK, Well Live aquaria rates them as difficult for a reason:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=212

I tried twice in my established 90g with similar results.

I think a key would be introducing it before any of the other fish in QT and hop eth clowns do not harass it.

When you intorduce a new fish do you acclimate?

With every fish or invert (even from QT) I drip acclimate.

I take a bucket with the new fish in it with adequate water then I start a siphon with airline tube from the main. I tie a knot in the airline tube and cinch it so nly a steady drip comes out. Once the water volume about doubles I move the fish into the main. During cold months you need to be sensitive to temp and may need to use a small heater in the bucket as well. Entire process can take 2-3 hours if done proberly.

This reduces the shock of any chemical imbalance and reduces some stress on the new fish.

Good luck with it. Be careful not to overstock and I would not suggest any other fish equal in size to the Copper band or any thing slightly aggressive. Stress I think gets most of them or at least that was my experience.

HTH,

live brine can be gut loaded by dosing the water they are swimming in with phyto or selcon. a good 18 hours should be good. they filter feed the phyto out of the water

steve r

Toirtis said:
Firstly, even newly hatched Artemia nauplii are inferior in nutritional value to frozen mysis shrimp.

I definitely agree with this statement.

Back
Top Bottom