Live Foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morphviper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a tank with a Lion and a couple of triggers and a puffer. I have been feeding Live saltwater foods to them for years since after weeks of fustration of trying to get them on dry or frozen foods.
Now I know that Live foods aren't the best because they are usually fresh water minnows and goldfish.

But My question is what kind of market it there for live foods like saltwater minnows, small fish, clams, and shrimp.
I have an aquarium service and my customers love the live foods for there tanks.(except those who don't like the carnage involved) :)

What are the pros and cons?

my pros: healthy natural living. good color. live food can live in your sump or wetdry filter.

Cons: can't think of any. that is why I am posting.

I am looking for all input, good or bad. this might be a business venture.

What are u talking about the live food ive ever seen is feeder goldfish, guppies, and minnows? Do u mean live brine shrimp that u hatch???

Feederfish can only bring parasites into your tank.
Clams, ive never heard of feeding clams unless frozen, the same with shrimp.\

What live foods do u feed ur fish.

I would go to ur grocery store and buy some frozen uncooked shrimp, clams, and muscles. Mabe also frozen silversides.

Theres no such thing as a saltwater minnow.

CONS: CAN KILL UR FISH, UNNATURAL TO FEED WITH A F/W FISH.

It's my understanding that fresh water live foods definitly are not good for salt water fish and will decrease their livespan. (various authors on Reef Central and Reefs.org online mags)
I have no experience with salt water live foods other than the live clams I buy at the local fish food markets that I cut open and place in the tanks for my butterlys to chomp on, or, live mysid shrimp I purchased and fed to my tanks, and, the live adult brine shrimp that I grow to adults and gut load before feeding to my tanks.
It would be great if there were a small minnow type salt water fish that could be maintained by the hobbyists to use as needed/wanted.
RAISING BRINE SHRIMP

Back
Top Bottom