Live Marine Phytoplankton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i was reading on the dt's web site and i found where it said it was suppose to smell some. i mean u cant smell it when u take the cap off the bottle. only if u stick your nose into it. i also read that they perdicted that if the bottle was not used by the date shown that only 15% of the live plankton would be dead. so i figure the whole thing cant be a waste. but if u guys think i should toss it i will, and buy one off line. i might go with the Cyclop-eeze. i found it online also and i might give that a try as well. i guess now i try new foods to find out what my tank likes and dont like.

I agree with Steven. As long as the smell is not a horrible rotting smell it should be OK.

guys think i should toss it i will, and buy one off line. i might go with the Cyclop-eeze.
Don't forget you'll need to pay for overnight shipping. That adds about $25-35 to the price.
Sine the LFS said they shook it, as long as it's not an overpowering smell I would use the phyto you have.
I just want to make it clear none of this is necessary. The coral you have will grow fine w/ good light and water movement. Many time tanks, especially newer tanks, will have algae outbreaks and/or chemistry problems from feeding these foods. I would not recommend feeding micro food to someone just getting started. You have nothing to compare your results to to see if feeding planktons is worth the added nutrients, etc. Keep in mind high nutrient levels cause coral to turn brown- ESPECIALLY SPS. They are very sensitive to NO3 and PO4 levels. Cyclop-eeze would be your best bet to start w/ b/c fish such as clowns will appreciate it as well.

You might want to try getting some on eBay...

this is the link

All of our Algae cultures are grown here at the Sound School Regional Vocational Aquaculture center in New Haven, CT. The sound school is a public high school and the propagation of this species is a student run project. We are a registered aquaculture facility, certificate number: CT 016FO, and a portion of our proceeds goes directly back into the aquaculture program. A detailed care sheet will be included with each shipment. Be sure to email about other species of phytoplankton currently available. There are quantity discounts available!

High School kids growing and selling this stuff. The Sound School

Over here in the UK a lot of people recommend using fresh cultured Live Phyto (Nannochloropsis Occulata is the most common) as a tank supplement. The general rule is 1ml per 2 gallons. This is fresh phyto not concentrate and has a shelf life of just 4 weeks. Theis phyto will feed the whole tank from the ground up. Most of the life in your LR will aprreciate it, the pod population will bloom and this helps feed the fish and inverts in your system. If you feed this to live Brineshrimp etc, you pre load the food for your fish with a great vit supplement.

I use it all the time in a sparsely stocked large tank and I have been told that as its live there is virtually no chance of fouling your water and I have never seen any algae bloom since I started using it. I have ordered my own phyto growing system from Aqua medic. Its basically a brine shimp system with a light tube on it. Add an air pump and a starter culture and your done.

Check out Aqua Medic Plankton systems Quality German stuff.

Back
Top Bottom