Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got some live rock. I wanted to see what everyone thinks.

I want to make sure I did not get ripped off, how much should I have paid for this rock per #?

Depending on where you got it from you could spend anywhere from $2.99-8.99 per/lb.

The rock you got has a lot of macro on it. Did you buy it this way or add the macro to the tank?

The cactus looking macro (HALIMEDA) will consume CA in your system.

Depending on where you got it from you could spend anywhere from $2.99-8.99 per/lb.

The rock you got has a lot of macro on it. Did you buy it this way or add the macro to the tank?

The cactus looking macro (HALIMEDA) will consume CA in your system.

It came that way.

Should I try to remove any of the macro?

Is this a good thing or bad?

It's not a bad thing just keep an eye on them. Some of them will grow faster then the others and they could invade more space in your tank then you want.

That's on the expensive end for live rock but it looks like you got great quality rock. Definitely worth it.

I got it 4.50 lbs. At a local retailer. They are good folks, it think that let it go at .50 cents over cost.

Nice rock!

I picked up around 40# from my local retailer for $4.50 a lb. The remaining 130lb I picked up from a local fella I found on craigslist who was tearing their tank down for $3 a lb, the larger pieces (one piece alone is 40lb) for $2 a lb. The benefit of this is they didn't need to be cycled, and already came with tonnes of coraline algae, soft corals, and all kinds of good critters crawling around.

On the topic of macro algae, is there a link that explains what all the different types of macro are?

I don't care for the porcelain (far eastern) piece. I think it just takes away from the "Natural" sea scape. I wouldn't have it in there if I had nice live rock like that. Just my opinion.

I don't care for the porcelain (far eastern) piece. I think it just takes away from the "Natural" sea scape. I wouldn't have it in there if I had nice live rock like that. Just my opinion.

That is harsh, completely un-called for bashing my tank... :) In case you did not know that is an artifact.

Eventually it will go, but before I got the live rock I wanted to have a few places for the fish to hide when it was just a bear tank. Once my cycle is done it will more than likely goto the goodwill.

When I was adding the live rock, I tried to pull it but low and behold a fish was camped out inside.

919, don't think of it as a "bashing your tank". DJ was just giving an opinion, which you asked for.
I kinda agree, that why I am a little jealous of the FW folks that can do a "theme" aquascape of their tanks....sigh....I missed out on that, but I love SCUBA in the SW so I have my own opinions.

The LR looks great. It looks like what is known as "Carribean" or "Florida" aquacultured LR where I am from here in Minnesota. It goes for around $10-$12 PER Pound here. It is some of the most colorful LR I have seen.

That is harsh, completely un-called for bashing my tank... :) In case you did not know that is an artifact.

Eventually it will go, but before I got the live rock I wanted to have a few places for the fish to hide when it was just a bear tank. Once my cycle is done it will more than likely goto the goodwill.

When I was adding the live rock, I tried to pull it but low and behold a fish was camped out inside.

So you are cycling with fish?

Back
Top Bottom