Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Picaso

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have got hold of some live rock but it has been bleached would this be any good to set up a new tank with ??

By bleached do you mean they had bleach poured onto them? If you just let them soak for a day or so in water and then let dry I think they will be OK.

Smitty said:
By bleached do you mean they had bleach poured onto them? If you just let them soak for a day or so in water and then let dry I think they will be OK.

Ok will do will they recycle because every thing that was living in them the bleach would of killed ?

Most of the time corraline on the LR when added to the tank will bleach anyway (turn white). It will come back. If you are talking about bleach added then rinse in FW and let completely air dry.

Ok will do will they recycle because every thing that was living in them the bleach would of killed ?

From the way your are phrasing that I am guessing that you mean that bleach was poured on them. If so then they would have had all the bacteria killed.

Yes, if placed back into a SW tank (after cleaning and drying) they will eventually become live again. Live rock is basically rock that has been in a tank long enough for bacteria to grow on it. The bacteria will be various kinds in order to convert the ammonia to nitrite and then the nitrite to nitrate.

Thanks will soak them and let the dry before setting up

Back
Top Bottom