Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, He says the tub has a leak and he is refilling every day... duh, get a new tub...

But he swears its ok, I will have to drive 2 hours just to look at it...

So you think its worth the trip? and to buy it?

Old 04-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

It looks like a lot of it is actually out of the water but the price is right. I would make shore it is fully cure before putting it in to your tank.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

200 for 120 pound is still a good price even if half of it dry witch i dont think half of it is. And it looks like some nice size peaces too. i would personaly go for it but the choice is yours.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'd have to agree on the price being great even if some pieces aren't still live. I would go check it out though.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ask him if he's been adding any type of ammonia source to it, if he hasn't, there definitely will be some dye off even if they were fully submerged.

Have him make a video of him testing the water and showing the results if you don't want to drive so far
Old 04-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, I picked up the rock and it has some beautiful coloring to it! Good find! YeaY! I tested the water and there was no reading for ammonia. I brought it home in the 50 gal tub fully submerged and it's been in my garage since Saturday running... the guy I bought it from had it running in his garage for a month or so. ( so he said )

My question is, how long do I need to run it before I add some to the tank?
And should I add one piece a week? or every other day? or what? I don't want to throw my tank into another cycle, Its finally stabilized..
Old 04-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

well i got 100 pounds like that and just throw it into my 75gallon tank with out any problems. but with the leaking tub the guy had who know if he forgot to will it for a week it could off all dried out so you really might want to think about curing it first.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I say just test it like a tank thats just finished cycling, if they rocks arent producing any ammonia, dose it with some to see if you have any traces of ammonia tomorrow. If there isnt, there should be a good colony of bacteria on it so it shouldn't cause another cycle. I would personally test each rock individually if your worried. Just add new SW to a bucket and submerge the rock completely in it. add a bit of ammonia and see if it clears up tomorrow

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com