Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e_murray

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am looking to buy 120 lbs of LR from a guy on craigslist... He says its been running in a tub with a powerhead in his garage for 1 month since he took his tank down..

I am thinking this should be ok right? since you would cycle new live rock for a couple weeks anyway.. I may have answered my own question, but I would like some feedback on this.

Thanks,

I bought some rock from a tub too and still had die off. But that'll be good if you're just cycling your tank now. :)

Hi Carey :)

My Tank is already cycled but still new, only up for 3 months now, I want some more rock I was thinking I would put the whole tub in the truck and bring it home...

Ahh IC. Yeah I would definitley not put that directly in your tank. You will prob cause a cycle. :-(

Bringing the whole tub might be an option, but you'll still have to remove the rock from the tub to move the tub I would think so the rock will be exposed to air for a few minutes. If it were me I'd test the heck out of that tub if you bring it home and make sure your parameters level off before adding.

:-D

Yeah I will most likely run it for a while im my garage and make sure its ok, He sent me a pic and it appears that its already exposed to the air, I'm a little nervous.. I dont want to buy dead rock, see the pic.

What doesn't look good about it, It looks like what my LFS sells.. Minus the two dry rocks on top...

I would just be concerned about the rocks hanging out. i can't tell how much is out of water. Good price though. :-D

Ok, He says the tub has a leak and he is refilling every day... duh, get a new tub...

But he swears its ok, I will have to drive 2 hours just to look at it...

So you think its worth the trip? and to buy it?

It looks like a lot of it is actually out of the water but the price is right. I would make shore it is fully cure before putting it in to your tank.

200 for 120 pound is still a good price even if half of it dry witch i dont think half of it is. And it looks like some nice size peaces too. i would personaly go for it but the choice is yours.

I'd have to agree on the price being great even if some pieces aren't still live. I would go check it out though.

ask him if he's been adding any type of ammonia source to it, if he hasn't, there definitely will be some dye off even if they were fully submerged.

Have him make a video of him testing the water and showing the results if you don't want to drive so far ;)

Ok, I picked up the rock and it has some beautiful coloring to it! Good find! YeaY! I tested the water and there was no reading for ammonia. I brought it home in the 50 gal tub fully submerged and it's been in my garage since Saturday running... the guy I bought it from had it running in his garage for a month or so. ( so he said )

My question is, how long do I need to run it before I add some to the tank?
And should I add one piece a week? or every other day? or what? I don't want to throw my tank into another cycle, Its finally stabilized..

well i got 100 pounds like that and just throw it into my 75gallon tank with out any problems. but with the leaking tub the guy had who know if he forgot to will it for a week it could off all dried out so you really might want to think about curing it first.

I say just test it like a tank thats just finished cycling, if they rocks arent producing any ammonia, dose it with some to see if you have any traces of ammonia tomorrow. If there isnt, there should be a good colony of bacteria on it so it shouldn't cause another cycle. I would personally test each rock individually if your worried. Just add new SW to a bucket and submerge the rock completely in it. add a bit of ammonia and see if it clears up tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom