Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Live rock

I have a chance to get some live rock at a great price from someone taking there tank down. About 25 pounds for 40. I can't fit it all in my tank now but I wanna start a small tank for my boy. So I wanna know how long will it last if I keep it in a bucket of saltwater with a pump in it to keep the water circulated. Please help need to decide kinda quick

Old 07-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You can keep the rock alive in a tub with a pump and a heater for a very long time. Get the rock and put it in a tub like you said.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

How long are you talking? I would put some kind of light source over it too. Might even do water changes
Old 07-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

What kinda tank u doing for ur boy?
Old 07-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
You can keep the rock alive in a tub with a pump and a heater for a very long time. Get the rock and put it in a tub like you said.
That's what I was hoping to hear. I have a koralia nano I could put in along with a 50 watt heater. Just found a biocube 14 on CL brand new and the guy wants 200 but I paid 225 for my biocube 29 on CL. I'm waiting for the guy with the rock to email me a picture of the rock and if it looks good I'll grab it.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Rock doesn't need light, only if there would be things growing on the rock besides bacteria. As per water changes, I wouldn't worry about a water change unless this was going to be more than, say, a couple weeks. This goes back to if there is anything on the rock or not. If it is continually submerged in water, from transport into your home there won't be much die off.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfighter
What kinda tank u doing for ur boy?
Not sure I just saw a 14 biocube brand new on CL for 200 but I don't know if the wife would think.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Rock doesn't need light, only if there would be things growing on the rock besides bacteria. As per water changes, I wouldn't worry about a water change unless this was going to be more than, say, a couple weeks. This goes back to if there is anything on the rock or not. If it is continually submerged in water, from transport into your home there won't be much die off.
I would pic it up in a couple five gallon bucket already filled with mixed RO water so they would never be out of the water longer than it takes to tank out of his tank and into the bucket
Old 07-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you have room then why not add to ur tank now and if you do start the other tank you will have some really good rock to start with.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfighter
If you have room then why not add to ur tank now and if you do start the other tank you will have some really good rock to start with.
Well I am going to add what I can to my biocube I got going now but it can't fit 25 pounds in or I will just see all rock lol. I know what u are saying I will be adding any cool pieces that fit but the rest I want to keep alive till I do his tank. Maybe month the longest. I have no problem changing the water out once or twice to keep it fresh. The cheapest I can get good stuff for around me is 7.99 so this guy told me he wants around 2 a pound and has 25 left he needs to go so I told him 40 and I'll take it all. Waiting for pics and an ok

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com