Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlsrks

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a lot of live rock between three tanks and don't have any idea how many pounds I have. How would I tell how much I have?

Convict is right. Live rock varies a lot in density and internal structure so there is no reliable way to estimate. Gotta actually weigh it.

Why?

I'm asking because the important thing isn't really the weight, it's the surface area. Some rocks are much denser and have less surface area per lb. nice dead coral rock has way more surface area for the BB to live on.
I would take 1 lb of porous coral rock over 2 lbs of man made rock with no cavities. And they'd likely be similar sized.
Not that all man made rock is bad. I have some nice stuff as well.

Ingy said:
Why?

I'm asking because the important thing isn't really the weight, it's the surface area. Some rocks are much denser and have less surface area per lb. nice dead coral rock has way more surface area for the BB to live on.
I would take 1 lb of porous coral rock over 2 lbs of man made rock with no cavities. And they'd likely be similar sized.
Not that all man made rock is bad. I have some nice stuff as well.

Why? Because he still needs to know how much weight he has

Doesn't a fish only tank take less live rock than a reef tank?

Only if you think it does. In reality if your tank looks good and you like it leave it alone. You can have a little or as much as you want. Within reason. My 90 has about 120LBs. In comparison I recently saw a 120gal tank that had about 40lbs of Pipe organ coral skeleton. That tank looked more full then mine.

Yeah. I think my 75 gallon has too much live rock. I think it has plenty to be able to move some to the other tank. Probably why I have so much red algae breakouts in it. Not enough water flow.

Back
Top Bottom