Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lacie257

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have never purchased rock online and was wondering where I should look? Anyone know of a good place?

What about your LFS? I never bought LR online for the simple fact that I do a mock scape in the store to kinda see what pieces I want.

My lfs has nothing but crappy rock that they want $ 8-9 a pound for! :(

LR online is quite pricey and rarely arrives cured and ready. Have you thought about using mostly base and then seeding with some LR from your LFS?

There is inexpensive sterile base rock available for about half that. I would use it and add about 10% cured live rock to seed it all. After a few months the new rock colors up and your patience saved you a lot of money and a lot of die off from live rock that gets shipped.

I ordered a box of live rock online about 10 years ago and it was well worth it. I don't recommend Florida aqua-cultured live rock.

If it's for a new tank it's fine if it's not cured. The curing process is basically exactly the same as cycling a tank and has the same end result. You get a fully cycled tank with healthy cured live rock. In my opinion the only possible drawback is cost which, to me, is well worth it.

I also used rock from Fiji almost 20 years ago when I built my existing reef. It was half what it is now and had a lot of die off, which made the cycling that much more extended. Doing it over again now, I would start with sterile rock and seed it. I think the time to a stable tank is maybe a little longer this way, but a lot cheaper and without getting the free loaders that live rock carries. Most of my free loaders were not the friendly kind.

Last edited:
Premiumaquatics.com is where I ordered mine from and it came in covered in purple coralline and I noticed 2 zoa polyps that have popped out since my purchase.

I just ended up buying overpriced ugly brown rock from the lfs. And I already had a lot of dried out base rock, was wanting some pretty stuff to color up my tank.

I will say my scape looks much better now!

Attachments

• image-1264353622.jpg
    image-1264353622.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 91
Back
Top Bottom