Live Rock???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonathan G.

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im setting up a 75 gl tank and im just wondering what kind of live rock to get. Anyone have any preferences or suggestions?

I would also get rock from Liverocks.com as Gerald suggested. I would get a mix of keys, and Gulf! The best of both worlds. :wink:

Let me put in my plug for liverocks.com. I like Rev's idea of mixing both keys and gulf rock. Keys rock will have the most color and corals on it, while the gulf rock will have more hitchhikers. If you plan on using the LR for biological filtration (suggested) then shoot for 1.5-2lba/gal. An end goal should be 110-150lbs. That can be pretty expensive so a good alternative is to buy half LR and half "dead Rock". Over time the LR will seed the dead stuff and it will all become LR.

I agree with the above. Liverocks.com is great stuff. To save a bit of money I would purchase 1/3 keys, 1/3 gulf and 1/3 base rock. The base rock even has good colors. The base rock will bring down the total cost. You can use more base rock than I suggested but it will take longer to seed from the other rocks. Contact Zack in the liverocks.com thread of this forum, he was a great help to me.

I have 80lbs of live rock from liverocks.com, its worth every penny! My tank is full of pinks, purples, and reds!

I used 85# of base rock from my LFS and a 30/30 mix of gulf/keys from LR.com. My base rock is already getting coraline growth on it and the critters, colors and corals on the rock is fantastic.

Coraline will not grow with out good lighting, but the stuff that makes your live rock live really doesn't require light (or we couldn't put it in our sumps). So to answer your question yes and no. :roll: Your live rock will do it's job, but with out proper lighting your coraline algae and other "pretty" sutff will start to die off.

That can be pretty expensive so a good alternative is to buy half LR and half "dead Rock". Over time the LR will seed the dead stuff and it will all become LR.
I second that, you can save a nice chunk of change that way. I like hirocks.com for base rock(dead rock), nice shapes and density.

Back
Top Bottom