live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoodFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
my live rock comes in today, when it does, what should i do as for food for the hitchhikers?

Most anything that hitches a ride on a rock was most likely on it because the rock had some type of food source on/within/around it. You don't need to feed hitchers a thing.

There's no need to feed them. Just make sure that you're there as soon as the shipment gets to your door... don't let it sit in the sun. Open the package carefully. There's also no need to "rinse" the rock out... just dump it in, let the dust settle, and then get busy on aquascaping. Just make sure that the rocks are sturdy and don't move around... don't want a rock to fall against your glass and crack the tank 8O

even dump the water that the rock come with too? or just the rock?

thanks for all the help,
Ant

I never add in the water from other LFS. No idea what additives or chemicals they use. I just picked up my rocks, let them drip for a few seconds, and then put them in my tank. Don't leave them out to dry... you'll kill of a ton of life.

If you got your rocks from online, then you might want to cure the rock first. Check out how to cure LR in the "articles" section.

I wouldn't cure LR.com rock. Especially not in a new tank. That stuff comes with more than enough bene bacteria to handle any die off, IMO.

If you want to shake off any potential bad-hikers, you could dunk the rock in the plain seltzer mixed with your saltmix to proper sg. Then you could sort out the stuff you like and the stuff you're not so sure about. It will save you some headache later if you decide you want to go reef and you need to do away with the coral munchers.

Back
Top Bottom