Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tgrove

Aquarium Advice Newbie
what would happen if you take live rock and put into your cycled tank straight from the local fish store? no curing at all?

was the rock already in a tank at the LFS?? If not than your tank will go through another cycle.

Most LFS's dont fully cure their LR before putting out for sale. They usually have a large tank or vat for all the live rock they sell and as new shippments come in they just put the new rock in the vat with all the other rock. The end result is a tub or tank that is almost always in a cycle.

Its always good to quarinteen the rock from the store for a 24 hour period in a QT tank or even a bucket with a powerhead and heater and saltwater. After the 24 hour preiod check for ammonia and nitrite. If either test positive then let the rock sit for another day before testing. If both tests are negitive then you can add it to the tank.

If the rock is only suffering slight dieoff you can add small amounts to an established tank but this is risky as if you add a rock with massive amounts of die off you can cause an ammonia spike in your established tank.

I thank you guys for the reply

the lfs has some lr with things growing on it already and the thing is i dont want those to die off before i put it in my tank

Back
Top Bottom