Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

live rock

hi everyone, new here and from australia
just bought a tank, and got some cured live rock, i would like to know if my live rock is doing well, it has been in the tank for about 12hrs,

thank u, steve

Old 02-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
There is really no way to tell if your is "doing well". I can tell you that it looks like a nice chunk of rock, good color and nice growth.

I would ditch the airstones. Not really needed in SW tanks and they can create a mess.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey Lando,

Is the water supposed to stay clear when the rock is done curing? I have about 25 lbs curing in a garbage can right now and the water is super brown :/ I know the rock is done curing once ammonia and nitrites are 0, which they're nowhere near, but I dont want to funk up my tank by turning the water brown.

Also, would a filter help with curing? I have an extra filter I can run, I just don't know if it will help or not. Right now I'm just running a powerhead. Thanks.....

On topic, nice rock Steve, it's got some sponge and corraline-->excellent. I'd check your ammonia levels in a day or two to see if the rock is cured. It's too early to know. And believe me, you'll know right away.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Joester2k3 Send a message via Yahoo to Joester2k3
Quote:
Is the water supposed to stay clear when the rock is done curing? I have about 25 lbs curing in a garbage can right now and the water is super brown
I know your question is for Lando however when i added my caribbean LR to cycle my tank the water turned a real green color. Looked really nasty. After i would say almost a week it cleared up back up
Old 02-19-2006, 03:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cool. Thanks. Hopefully mine will clear in a week.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could be algae or diatoms. Yes, they do clear up. running some GAC may help as well.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't know, the water's just brown. Maybe it's a free form floating version of algae?!?

Anyways, I stuck my old filter in the bucket with some fresh carbon. I hope it helps the curing process.....
Old 02-20-2006, 03:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

hey guys
thanx for the replies, i just scrubbed the rock a little bit, its come up much nicer then b4, more growth, and less spider web looking stuff, once the tank has done its cycle i'm going to get more liverock, it seems very expensive over here for it, AUS $15 per kg of cured LR,
next week going to take a sample of the water and take it to the LFS for testing, cant wait

then get some coral and fish and should be all sweet

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com