Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Id do dry rock. That's my opinion. IF their rock isnt cured completely or your drive causes some die off them your ammonia will spike. You have a very small amount of rock in your tank as it a so it would worry me that even if there was a small amount of die off on the rock you buy them the small amount of bacteria you have housed in you live rock won't be able to convert it fast enough. Like in my tank 10 lbs of rock wouldn't be too big of a deal because I have 275lbs of rock already so there is a lot of bacteria to convert all of the ammonia. IMO (take it for what it is) I NEVER add live rock to an established aquarium that's how I nuked my 55 gallon tank.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
Id do dry rock. That's my opinion. IF their rock isnt cured completely or your drive causes some die off them your ammonia will spike. You have a very small amount of rock in your tank as it a so it would worry me that even if there was a small amount of die off on the rock you buy them the small amount of bacteria you have housed in you live rock won't be able to convert it fast enough. Like in my tank 10 lbs of rock wouldn't be too big of a deal because I have 275lbs of rock already so there is a lot of bacteria to convert all of the ammonia. IMO (take it for what it is) I NEVER add live rock to an established aquarium that's how I nuked my 55 gallon tank.
btw Timmy shoot me a text i lost your number last weekend,

and that sounds horrible, i would never want to "nuke" my tank, the guys down at my lrs said i should be ok with a small piece under 10lbs and thats all i want, its very sparse on one side and i just want one tall piece to fill up the space and ill be happy with it. but the dry rock sounds safer since i already have my caramel clowns and shrimp in there. i would die if i lost them to carelessness.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Buy the live rock put in a QT test the water after two days if there's ammo then you'll need to let it cure other wise put in the main tank

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Buy the live rock put in a QT test the water after two days if there's ammo then you'll need to let it cure other wise put in the main tank
i dont have a quarantine tank, i wish i did, i have a 10g for my cichlid fry but its fw as of now. can i use that?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just use a plastic bucket or storage bin. I have a bunch of live rock in three right now curing with a power filter and heater in each of them. Much cheaper than using an aquarium for things like that.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airgoose2222 View Post
Just use a plastic bucket or storage bin. I have a bunch of live rock in three right now curing with a power filter and heater in each of them. Much cheaper than using an aquarium for things like that.
+1 Dollar store pails work great for this. You can use the 10 gl. you'll just have to rinse it before and after use.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

well guys my lrs was out of dry rock would it be cheaper to order online? hows shipping?
Old 08-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #18
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Depends where you order from. Some places offer free shipping with orders over so much, and rock orders can put it into that category. I think saltwater fish.com offered free shipping this week on live rock if that's helpful.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airgoose2222 View Post
I'm going to try this in a storage tote .
Do I need to have a heater ?
I just killed off a bunch of mushrooms I didn't want and just want a way to know they are safe to put in my tank .
Old 09-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post
I'm going to try this in a storage tote .
Do I need to have a heater ?
I just killed off a bunch of mushrooms I didn't want and just want a way to know they are safe to put in my tank .
You can cure them in a bit with saltwater and a powerhead or cure them by letting them dry out in the sun and completely bleach them out.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com