Live rock and lace rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
My new 28 gal aquarium has about 10-15 pounds of live rock. I have about 10-15 pounds of lace rock from an old cichlid aquarium setup. The lace rock has been sitting out dry for months. Can I add this to the salt tank? Will it become live rock? Would corals grow on it? Are there any bad sides to this? Any good?

That is the best way to add rock because there is nothing to cause die off resulting in a mini cycle

so then why don't more people do this? I tried searching the forum for this and keep coming up with people investing in more live rock. Will the coral be ok on the lace rock? and will the lace rock become "live" rock?

A lot of people do this is just when you first set up the more live rock you use the shorter the cycle if any but after your tank is running the only reason to use live rock is if you don't want to wait for a piece of base/lace "color up" or become live..it saves money and you don't have to cure it because there's no life on it

I added 20lbs of base rock to my reef about 2 months ago and is almost as nice looking as my original live rock I purchased when I started

This is extremely good news. This tank has been running 6 months with live rock. It is a Craigslist purchase so i wanted to add my lace.

Back
Top Bottom