Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No that's fine.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichm20 View Post
No that's fine.
maybe i should do more blue and less white? maybe 2hrs of blue only and 4hrs of white and blue, i dont want my tank covered in this crap i like a little bit but i dont want it to look dirty.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you have any snails or hermit crabs? If not its a good time to start on the clean up crew. This site does custom packages to fit your needs. Some people have Sao they go a little overboard.

http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.ph...id=1&Itemid=78
Old 08-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea I use normal light timers and have the blue lights on 1.5 hours before and after the white lights to sort of mimic sunrise and sunset. I'm thinking about adding a couple more individual blue LEDs for a moon glow look. I never thought about moonlight but was at a friend who does it and thought it looked pretty cool.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yea I use normal light timers and have the blue lights on 1.5 hours before and after the white lights to sort of mimic sunrise and sunset. I'm thinking about adding a couple more individual blue LEDs for a moon glow look. I never thought about moonlight but was at a friend who does it and thought it looked pretty cool.
well as of now, the fixture i use has one plug for both lights but 2 switches so ill just manually turn off and on the white light for now till i get a dimmable led fixture in the near future?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's the updated tank pic, the rocks and sand look way more covered now, it really looks alive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130827_082115.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	194739   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130827_082141.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	194740  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130827_082218.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	194741  
Old 08-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would maybe add some more rock in there. Do you have any cuc?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I would maybe add some more rock in there. Do you have any cuc?
thats what i plan to do, i plan to add one more piece to left side of the t ank i want a taller piece.

today my lrs is getting in a shipment of lr should i wait to gwet a piece or should i go pluck it before they let it sit in their tanks?

and whats cuc? im still a noob to abbreviations, sorry
Old 08-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You may want to let them keep it in their bin for a little bit, they might let you claim a piece and leave it in there to cure some. If you do add it be ready with a water change because there will probably be a small ammonia spike from die off from the travel time from wherever they got it to their store.

CUC stands for clean up crew and it is made up of various snails, hermit crabs, shrimp... they will eat algae of the glass, rocks, sand and left over food and waste or decaying matter. You have diatoms now so you can start adding them. Check out the site that I pasted a few posts back it has a wealth of information on clean up crews and you can order from them if you want but you could just get them from your LFS.

What are your latest water test readings btw?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You may want to let them keep it in their bin for a little bit, they might let you claim a piece and leave it in there to cure some. If you do add it be ready with a water change because there will probably be a small ammonia spike from die off from the travel time from wherever they got it to their store.

CUC stands for clean up crew and it is made up of various snails, hermit crabs, shrimp... they will eat algae of the glass, rocks, sand and left over food and waste or decaying matter. You have diatoms now so you can start adding them. Check out the site that I pasted a few posts back it has a wealth of information on clean up crews and you can order from them if you want but you could just get them from your LFS.

What are your latest water test readings btw?
im stuck between a few rocks and a hard place right now, i have people telling me it will be fine straight off the truck, some saying let them cycle in their tank,a dnsome saying go dry rock, i still dont know what to do.

and i dont have a cuc yet just 2 peppermint shrimp and 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, that site has the package for my tank with hermits for $59.99 thats nuts! i think ill just pick some up from my lrs slowly, what do you recommend? i have minor OCD so it needs to be an even number like 2 or 4 or 6 or a multiple of 5 like 5 or 10.. weird i know but thats just me lol

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com