Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
erichm20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jensen Beach, FL
Posts: 651
No that's fine.
__________________

__________________
erichm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by erichm20 View Post
No that's fine.
maybe i should do more blue and less white? maybe 2hrs of blue only and 4hrs of white and blue, i dont want my tank covered in this crap i like a little bit but i dont want it to look dirty.
__________________

__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
erichm20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jensen Beach, FL
Posts: 651
Do you have any snails or hermit crabs? If not its a good time to start on the clean up crew. This site does custom packages to fit your needs. Some people have Sao they go a little overboard.

http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.ph...id=1&Itemid=78
__________________
erichm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
erichm20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jensen Beach, FL
Posts: 651
Yea I use normal light timers and have the blue lights on 1.5 hours before and after the white lights to sort of mimic sunrise and sunset. I'm thinking about adding a couple more individual blue LEDs for a moon glow look. I never thought about moonlight but was at a friend who does it and thought it looked pretty cool.
__________________
erichm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by erichm20 View Post
Yea I use normal light timers and have the blue lights on 1.5 hours before and after the white lights to sort of mimic sunrise and sunset. I'm thinking about adding a couple more individual blue LEDs for a moon glow look. I never thought about moonlight but was at a friend who does it and thought it looked pretty cool.
well as of now, the fixture i use has one plug for both lights but 2 switches so ill just manually turn off and on the white light for now till i get a dimmable led fixture in the near future?
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Here's the updated tank pic, the rocks and sand look way more covered now, it really looks alive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130827_082115.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	194739   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130827_082141.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	194740  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130827_082218.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	194741  
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
erichm20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jensen Beach, FL
Posts: 651
I would maybe add some more rock in there. Do you have any cuc?
__________________
erichm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by erichm20 View Post
I would maybe add some more rock in there. Do you have any cuc?
thats what i plan to do, i plan to add one more piece to left side of the t ank i want a taller piece.

today my lrs is getting in a shipment of lr should i wait to gwet a piece or should i go pluck it before they let it sit in their tanks?

and whats cuc? im still a noob to abbreviations, sorry
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
erichm20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jensen Beach, FL
Posts: 651
You may want to let them keep it in their bin for a little bit, they might let you claim a piece and leave it in there to cure some. If you do add it be ready with a water change because there will probably be a small ammonia spike from die off from the travel time from wherever they got it to their store.

CUC stands for clean up crew and it is made up of various snails, hermit crabs, shrimp... they will eat algae of the glass, rocks, sand and left over food and waste or decaying matter. You have diatoms now so you can start adding them. Check out the site that I pasted a few posts back it has a wealth of information on clean up crews and you can order from them if you want but you could just get them from your LFS.

What are your latest water test readings btw?
__________________
erichm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by erichm20 View Post
You may want to let them keep it in their bin for a little bit, they might let you claim a piece and leave it in there to cure some. If you do add it be ready with a water change because there will probably be a small ammonia spike from die off from the travel time from wherever they got it to their store.

CUC stands for clean up crew and it is made up of various snails, hermit crabs, shrimp... they will eat algae of the glass, rocks, sand and left over food and waste or decaying matter. You have diatoms now so you can start adding them. Check out the site that I pasted a few posts back it has a wealth of information on clean up crews and you can order from them if you want but you could just get them from your LFS.

What are your latest water test readings btw?
im stuck between a few rocks and a hard place right now, i have people telling me it will be fine straight off the truck, some saying let them cycle in their tank,a dnsome saying go dry rock, i still dont know what to do.

and i dont have a cuc yet just 2 peppermint shrimp and 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, that site has the package for my tank with hermits for $59.99 thats nuts! i think ill just pick some up from my lrs slowly, what do you recommend? i have minor OCD so it needs to be an even number like 2 or 4 or 6 or a multiple of 5 like 5 or 10.. weird i know but thats just me lol
__________________

__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.