Live Rock Coloration Goods/Bads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm getting some yellow pits and purple sections of rock that look like algae and I'm getting some orange too, What colors are good/bad on live rock? Here's some pics sorry the actinic bulb makes it hard to tell the color.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130820_175223.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130820_175223.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 172
  • ForumRunner_20130820_175249.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130820_175249.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 169
  • ForumRunner_20130820_175306.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130820_175306.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 169
I think if it is encrusting or doesn't come off easily than it is usually good. If it is fuzzy, bubbly, hairy, or slimy then it's more than likely a nuisance. I can't really see anything from the photos but do the research now and be diligent ahead of time so you don't have to deal with it as much later. I am 18 months in and seems like I am always battling some form of nuisance algae or Cyanobacteria because I didn't take the time to learn before but I'm a kind of learn the hard way type of person I guess.

Well the yellows looks hard like tooth filings from the dentist. But the purples look fuzzy on the rock like algae of sorts.

Well the yellows looks hard like tooth filings from the dentist. But the purples look fuzzy on the rock like algae of sorts.

Your tank is new tex. you're going to get diatom blooms and many colors and algae and biological changes while your tank establishes. Those changes (not the algae and colors) in the biological state of your tank is why it is recommended to let the tank establish and go through its course. Many stages of the cycling and establishment process will stress and/or kill fish. At the very best scenario it shortens the animals life expectancy.

Your tank is new tex. you're going to get diatom blooms and many colors and algae and biological changes while your tank establishes. Those changes (not the algae and colors) in the biological state of your tank is why it is recommended to let the tank establish and go through its course. Many stages of the cycling and establishment process will stress and/or kill fish. At the very best scenario it shortens the animals life expectancy.

Yeah I understand Tim, I asked the guys at my lrs and they said not to worry its just part of the cycle. It's awesome seeing my tank mature.

It is amazing watching the mini ecosystem develop and it certainly gives you a new found respect for anyone that's ever owned an aquarium.

It is amazing watching the mini ecosystem develop and it certainly gives you a new found respect for anyone that's ever owned an aquarium.

It definitely does, my whole life all I've had is fw tanks and now that I have a sw tank its just opened my eyes to all the little lifeforms that actually make up the ecosystem in my tank.

Update!

So this coloration if normal then right guys? It's maturing! I'm so happy

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130823_202240.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130823_202240.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 144
Yep looks like diatoms. Totally normal it's coming along.

awesome, ill post some updated pics later on, am i leaving the light on too long? i have both 10,000k and 460nm actinic bulbs on for about 6-8hrs a day, when i get off work.

Yea I use normal light timers and have the blue lights on 1.5 hours before and after the white lights to sort of mimic sunrise and sunset. I'm thinking about adding a couple more individual blue LEDs for a moon glow look. I never thought about moonlight but was at a friend who does it and thought it looked pretty cool.

Yea I use normal light timers and have the blue lights on 1.5 hours before and after the white lights to sort of mimic sunrise and sunset. I'm thinking about adding a couple more individual blue LEDs for a moon glow look. I never thought about moonlight but was at a friend who does it and thought it looked pretty cool.

well as of now, the fixture i use has one plug for both lights but 2 switches so ill just manually turn off and on the white light for now till i get a dimmable led fixture in the near future?

Here's the updated tank pic, the rocks and sand look way more covered now, it really looks alive.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130827_082115.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130827_082115.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 70
  • ForumRunner_20130827_082141.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130827_082141.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 70
  • ForumRunner_20130827_082218.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130827_082218.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 90
I would maybe add some more rock in there. Do you have any cuc?

thats what i plan to do, i plan to add one more piece to left side of the t ank i want a taller piece.

today my lrs is getting in a shipment of lr should i wait to gwet a piece or should i go pluck it before they let it sit in their tanks?

and whats cuc? im still a noob to abbreviations, sorry :hide:

You may want to let them keep it in their bin for a little bit, they might let you claim a piece and leave it in there to cure some. If you do add it be ready with a water change because there will probably be a small ammonia spike from die off from the travel time from wherever they got it to their store.

CUC stands for clean up crew and it is made up of various snails, hermit crabs, shrimp... they will eat algae of the glass, rocks, sand and left over food and waste or decaying matter. You have diatoms now so you can start adding them. Check out the site that I pasted a few posts back it has a wealth of information on clean up crews and you can order from them if you want but you could just get them from your LFS.

What are your latest water test readings btw?

You may want to let them keep it in their bin for a little bit, they might let you claim a piece and leave it in there to cure some. If you do add it be ready with a water change because there will probably be a small ammonia spike from die off from the travel time from wherever they got it to their store.

CUC stands for clean up crew and it is made up of various snails, hermit crabs, shrimp... they will eat algae of the glass, rocks, sand and left over food and waste or decaying matter. You have diatoms now so you can start adding them. Check out the site that I pasted a few posts back it has a wealth of information on clean up crews and you can order from them if you want but you could just get them from your LFS.

What are your latest water test readings btw?

im stuck between a few rocks and a hard place right now, i have people telling me it will be fine straight off the truck, some saying let them cycle in their tank,a dnsome saying go dry rock, i still dont know what to do.

and i dont have a cuc yet just 2 peppermint shrimp and 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, that site has the package for my tank with hermits for $59.99 thats nuts! i think ill just pick some up from my lrs slowly, what do you recommend? i have minor OCD so it needs to be an even number like 2 or 4 or 6 or a multiple of 5 like 5 or 10.. weird i know but thats just me lol

Back
Top Bottom