Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Live rock curing question

My wife and I picked up 10 lbs of live rock yesterday for the fowlr tank we're setting up. I've started the curing process, placed in a rubermaid tub, completely submerged in saltwater, heater, power head ect. I am going to start scrubbing tonight, my question is to what extent do I need to scrub the rock?

I know I need to take off anything that looks brown or black, I'm just worried if I scrub to much we're going to not have anything left to reseed.

Also, once the curing process is done and the tank is running how long should we expect to wait until we start seeing coralline growth?

jhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Joester2k3 Send a message via Yahoo to Joester2k3
What i did was took each peice of rock that came to my house and used a new toothbrush and lightly scrubbed each peice off to get anything loose off and then stuck it in my tank since i want it to cycle to new setup. I didnt scrub hard at all. And all the stuff that has died slowly falls off that way i was sure not to remove to much of anything as for coralline growth im pretty sure you have to have a lighitng system and it will slowly start to grow. If it doesnt u can purchase a peice or two from the LFS that has it on it already and seed your rock with this

125Gal (Blue Regal Tang, 2Percs, Purple Pseudochromis, Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel, 2 Green Chromis,Yellow Wrasse,Urchin, Serpant Star)
Joester2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

If you are just setting up cure the rock in the main tank to start your cycle. No need to scrub anything. If you, scrub lightly only at at what is you see is dead or coming off anyway.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The rock will re-seed no matter how hard you scrub. But as mentioned, if you are still cycling, you can use the rock to cycle. Coralline likes good lighting, but it also likes good water parameters. I have a cheap 12 gallon nano with regular lights, and the coralline is going mad. Good water means alot. Good luck!
AndyH5512 is offline   Reply With Quote

curing, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com