Live rock curing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhunter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My wife and I picked up 10 lbs of live rock yesterday for the fowlr tank we're setting up. I've started the curing process, placed in a rubermaid tub, completely submerged in saltwater, heater, power head ect. I am going to start scrubbing tonight, my question is to what extent do I need to scrub the rock?

I know I need to take off anything that looks brown or black, I'm just worried if I scrub to much we're going to not have anything left to reseed.

Also, once the curing process is done and the tank is running how long should we expect to wait until we start seeing coralline growth?

What i did was took each peice of rock that came to my house and used a new toothbrush and lightly scrubbed each peice off to get anything loose off and then stuck it in my tank since i want it to cycle to new setup. I didnt scrub hard at all. And all the stuff that has died slowly falls off that way i was sure not to remove to much of anything:):) as for coralline growth im pretty sure you have to have a lighitng system and it will slowly start to grow. If it doesnt u can purchase a peice or two from the LFS that has it on it already and seed your rock with this :)

HTH

If you are just setting up cure the rock in the main tank to start your cycle. No need to scrub anything. If you, scrub lightly only at at what is you see is dead or coming off anyway.

The rock will re-seed no matter how hard you scrub. But as mentioned, if you are still cycling, you can use the rock to cycle. Coralline likes good lighting, but it also likes good water parameters. I have a cheap 12 gallon nano with regular lights, and the coralline is going mad. Good water means alot. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom