Live Rock has Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys. I added 50 lbs. of live rock to my tank yesterday and am seeing this morning that there is an Anemone emerging... This is great, however the tank is not finished cycling so there is Ammonia and Nitrate present. Is this something that I should be of concern with for the Anemone? Will it live?
Any information would be appreciated.

Where did you get the rock? Most anemone hitchhikers are pest anemeones like Aptasia.
To be sure, can you get us a pick?

I got the live rock from my LFS, which I just love and think alot of. Very knowledgeable, good looking tanks and fish. The LR was supposed to be cured and ready to go....
Great! It looks like the photo from the link listed above. Now what?
I need to get that little booger out of there huh!
Did I mess up by putting this LR in? I had about 30lbs already in the tank and thought it best to go ahead and put what LR is was going to in while it was cycling.... :?
Oh yeah, my huband couldn't wait on fish so we got some damsels, is that anemone going to bother them?

1) shouldnt bother the damsls
2) yes get it out
3) The LR shouldnt mess it up if it wasn't much and was cured

To get it out wither buy something that eats it like peppermint shrimps (when the tank has stablized.

Otherwise if u have access to a syringe, u can mix some kalk if some fresh water and inject it directly into the aptasia this will kill it, other products are available as well.

NEVER SCRUB APTASIA this will cause it to spread rapidly

One or 2 should not bother you fish. The problem with this anemone is that they multiply rapidly. There are several ways to remove them, but don't just pulverize them or try to pull them out. This will only help them to multiply.
One way is to get a peppermint shrimp or 2. They will eat them.
Another way is to inject them with Kalk . Mix some Kalk powder with water until you get a thick liquid. Then just simply inject them with a little bit. They will dissolve very quickly. You can also inject them with "Joes Juice". It's available at most LFS's.
HTH

When your levels get save you can put in some Peppermint shrimp and they should eat the Aptasia. Thats how I got rid of my Aptasia.

When your levels get save you can put in some Peppermint shrimp and they should eat the Aptasia. Thats how I got rid of my Aptasia.

Thank you for the advise, I will get it out of there. I am glad you both mentioned (don't just pull it out) as that is what I would have done! :oops:
Also, about peppermint shrimp... I can add one or 2 once the tank is cycled, right? Is that the only anemone that peppermints eat? If so that is weird! :roll:

it is weird, but it works. Yes, please wait until the tank cycles.
I don't believe they bother other types of anemones, I have never heard of that happening.

Thank you guys so much for all the advice.... I love this board, even if it is over my head sometimes! :lol:

That is so wierd about the Peppermint Shrimp, but it sounds like the route to take since I wanted them in the tank anyway. :wink:

Since the rock is in there, should I leave things alone and just keep an eye out for any other "hitchhikers"?
Also, is this common from cured rock or should I have a concern on the LFS selling me rock that really wasn't cured? Not to diss the LFS ~ Just making sure I am up to speed on what is going in my tank! TIA!

Since the rock is in there, should I leave things alone and just keep an eye out for any other "hitchhikers"?
Thats what I would do.
Also, is this common from cured rock or should I have a concern on the LFS selling me rock that really wasn't cured?
Its pretty common for any rock coming from the wild. It may be cured, but I would monitor the water parameters for a couple of weeks to make sure they are optimal before adding any livestock.

quarryshark, thanks so much! I am on the right track then, just hurry up and wait, haha!

I just tested the water again and the ammonia is still on the climb, so it's not peaked yet, I thought perhaps it had.

Thanks Again All! Great Info! I'll sleep better, knowing what is going on in that water~ :lol:

I took my rock out of the water, dripped a few drops of boiling water on the aiptasia and it died.

Haven't seen it since.

Boiling water doesn't always work, but it's the easiest thing to try. People usually use a syringe and inject boiling water close to the aiptasia's mouth, with the rock in the tank. If that doesn't work, then maybe try injecting some kalk (pickling lime, food grade). Then maybe try peppermint shrimps. Then maybe try aiptasia eating nudibranch (berghia).

Some fish eat aiptasia, but don't try that with a new tank.

Back
Top Bottom